In 1998 Bill Vanderbeek instituted the popular Gas One-Design event, for uiquitous small gas designs such as the Starduster, Mini Pearl and Ramrod. Borrowing from Bill’s great idea, the 2016 Nats will feature a One-Design rubber model. The selection for 2016, in honor of Bill Vanderbeek, is Bill’s famous Nats winner and 1972 Model of the Year, “My Coupe”. This super -simple Coupe design is easily built of balsa and is equally easy to fly.
The rules for Nats One-Design Rubber are short and simple, and are designed to encourage maximum participation modelers by old and young, novice and expert.
Nominations for future One-Design selections are welcome. At present we are considering the following:
• Perryman P-30s
• Perryman Fludy Coupe
• Oldenkamp “HotBox” P-30
• Bob White Twin Fin P-30
• Bob White Twin Fin Coupe
• Lidgard Sparky
• Blue Ridge “Square Eagle” P-30
• Blue Ridge “Coupe DeVille”
• Romak’s “Gin-u-win”
• Champion P-30
• Champion Coupe
The decision for the 2017 One-Design model will be made at the September, 2016 Nats planning meeting.
The vision for the One-Design event is to pick classic designs that many folks probably already have kits or built models for. Ideally, we’d like to keep it as a 2-minute event, so all the designs may be flown in a combined event at some point.
A limited number (20) of laser-cut short kits for My Coupe are available from Don DeLoach for $17 each plus $3 shipping. Send checks or paypal to Don at 831 East Willamette Ave, Colorado
Springs, CO 80903 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nats One-Design Rubber Rules
1. Models must be built to published plan and all wood sizes retained.
Spars may be moved. Carbon and kevlar are not allowed.
2. Propeller not to exceed diameter on plan. Wire and metal hubs may be
used in place of wood hubs. For P-30 AMA rules apply on plastic props.
3. No variable geometry (auto stab/wing/fin) and no instant or delayed
4. No restrictions on covering material.
5. No builder-of-model restrictions.
6. Minimum empty weight: 70g for Coupe, 40g for P-30.
7. Maximum rubber motor weight: 10g lubed.
8. No ROG required; takeoff gear may be omitted.
9. Flight rules: Six attempts allowed to achieve 3 flights, 120 seconds
maximum apiece. Attempt is 20 seconds. Flyoff 1 is180 sec. Flyoff 2 and
ensuing are 240 sec., until a maximum is not achieved.