In 1998 Bill Vanderbeek instituted the popular One-Design Gas event, for ubiquitous small gas designs such as the Starduster, Mini Pearl and Ramrod. Borrowing from Bill’s great idea, the 2016 NATS featured a One-Design rubber model, My Coupe, in honor of Bill Vanderbeek. This super-simple Coupe design was the 1972 Model of the Year, is easily built of balsa, and equally easy to fly.
The rules for NATS One-Design Rubber are short and simple, and are designed to encourage maximum participation by modelers young and old, novice and expert.
The 2022 design is the Bustard P-30, in honor of its designer Jim O’Reilly. There are several versions of the Bustard, including the well known Tubular Bustard, and all are eligible for the One -Design event. Bustard plans (P-991, P-992, P-993, P-995) are available from NFFS Plans Service.
Nominations for future One-Design selections are welcome. Some designs being considered include:
• Perryman P-30s
• Perryman Fludy Coupe
• Oldenkamp HotBox P-30
• Bob White Twin Fin P-30
• Bob White Twin Fin Coupe
• Lidgard Sparky
• Blue Ridge Square Eagle P-30
• Blue Ridge Coupe Neville
• Romak’s Gin-U-Win
• Champion P-30
• Champion Coupe
The vision for the One-Design event is to pick classic designs that many folks probably already have kits or built models for. Ideally, we’d like to keep it as a 2-minute event, so all the designs may be flown in a combined event.
NATS One-Design Rubber Rules
Spars may be moved. Carbon and kevlar are not allowed.
2. Propeller not to exceed diameter on plan. Wire and metal hubs may be
used in place of wood hubs. For P-30 AMA rules apply on plastic props.
3. No variable geometry (auto stab/wing/fin) and no instant or delayed
4. No restrictions on covering material.
5. No builder-of-model restrictions.
6. Minimum empty weight: 70g for Coupe, 40g for P-30.
7. Maximum rubber motor weight: 10g lubed.
8. No ROG required; takeoff gear may be omitted.
9. Flight rules: Six attempts allowed to achieve 3 flights, 120 seconds
maximum apiece. Attempt is 20 seconds. Flyoff 1 is180 sec. Flyoff 2 and
ensuing are 240 sec., until a maximum is not achieved.