Antenna mounted low noise preamp for tracking recievers

Home Forums Free Flight Equipment Antenna mounted low noise preamp for tracking recievers

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    CARROL ALLEN
    Participant

I have started making antenna mounted preamps for tracking receivers. It is small and light enough to mount on the antenna eliminating the feedline loss. It has 20 dB gain and a noise figure of only 0.8 dB. It works from 50MHz to 4GHz covering all of the tracker frequencies.
    Test indicate that it just about double the tracker range. It is powered with three AA cells that should run the preamp for about 100 hours.

$200 plus shipping

e-mail me at: aa2nn@taconic.net

Carrol Allen

George Reinhart
    Participant

Carrol,
    I am no tsure what frequencies my Walston units transmit on.
    Do you think it will improve the reception range of the average walston ubit?
    Cheers!

CARROL ALLEN
    Participant

Walstons operate around 220 MHz. Several people have tried it with their Walstons and it definitely does increase reception distance. Ed Vanlandingham had a tracker running in his basement. He could hear it a one mile with the preamp and 1/2 mile without.

I use mine with Pim Ruyter’s trackers and an Icom handheld reciever.

By the way with the power switch in the off position the preamp functions as an. attenuator

Carrol

David Bevan
    Participant

Carroll, are you still making these?

CARROL ALLEN
    Participant

Yes, I sold four of the units at the Feb. Max Men contest. I still have seven in stock.

Dick Bertrand
    Participant

Carrol,

Will you be in Muncie end of June for the Ohio club’s contest or the Nats?
    Aside from that, I have a Walston with a directional antenna and I dont understand the picture here that shows loops of cable and a blue box. What is all that?
    Thermals,
    Dick

CARROL ALLEN
    Participant

Yes I will be at the Nats.
    The preamp connects directly to the antenna and the other end connects to your reciever replacing the coax cable. The inline box contains three AA cells that supply power to the preamp. This eliminates the loss in the coax cable that adds to the background noise.

Here is a note I recieved from Ken Happersett:

Hi Carrol This last week end I tested Pre Amp! With out pre amp I lost signal about 200 yards before bike shed on Hollway road. I was on flight line by parked trailers. I then installed pre Amp ,now when added pre amp the signal sound changed some ,as he drove towards HWY 46 the signal became more clear and he drove all the way to 46 and I still had signal! WOW. !! The next Day Roger simpson had Fly away, We drove out on field the rest of the day & no signal .This was on line timer directed us. The next morning we went out on that line and no signal. So the next step was to go to Black Well Corner and turn north on Hwy. A few miles up HWY a signal was received and model was found! Why didn’t we have signal on field, the line we chased was where model was last seen was not correct so we were looking in wrong place, and also not fare enough out. any way it worked great,and payed for itself first time out.!!! Thanks Carrol!! Kenny

Dick Bertrand
    Participant

I’ll look you up at the Nats!

Dick

CARROL ALLEN
    Participant

I also have some magnet mounted whip antennas for putting on top of your car. It saves holding a yagi out of the window while trying to drive. Twenty five dollars.

Carrol

Dean McGinnes
    Participant

I’ve been looking for one of those. How is the reception range vs. the Yagi antenna?

CARROL ALLEN
    Participant

It is omni directional and with a vertical polarization. That reduces the sensitivity a lot if your tracker antenna is horizontal. It is usefull to get within range usually.

Robert Dunham II
    Participant

I’d like to order a magnet mounted whip antenna @ $25, how do I order and pay for one?

CARROL ALLEN
    Participant

Send me your name and address and what frequency you are using to;
    aa2nn@taconic.net and I will mail it out the next day. The price is #25 plus shipping whis around $3.50 to $5.
    You can mail me a check when you receive the antenna.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.