Aztec Eagle

Home Forums Free Flight All Gas Aztec Eagle

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

In the Jan/Feb issue of the NFFS Digest there was a plan for an Al Vela half-A called the Aztec Eagle. It looks like it would be a good one for the Golden Age event. However, I’ve looked in magazine indexes and Googled it and I can’t find any information on it, like when and where it was published. It’s listed in the NFFS Plans list as a nostalgia model, but I’m sure that’s not right. It looks like an updated Mexi-Boy. I would like to find the original article. I sent an e-mail to Digest editor Don DeLoach and he’s trying to track down some info, but I was wondering if anyone out there would know?

Bruce Hannah
    Participant

On Fasebook I saw Bob Sunberg with a 1\2 A version and he did a beautiful job

Steve Landy
    Participant

I think the plane appeared in the short lived “SIG Aeromodeller Magazine”, sometime in the 60’s. If I can find my copies I will post pics.

Steve Jensen
    Participant

If you find your Sig magazines could you see if you can find Al Vela’s Totol plan? It may be the Aztec Eagle.

Nigel Tarvin
    Participant

Tototl and Aztec Eagle are one and the same. I’m certain it’s golden age legal but I would also like to know the exact date.

Cheers,
    Nigel

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

The plan for the Tototl Azetec Eagle is listed in the AMA plan service as # 24040. They claim it was designed by Al Vela. They also claim the design was published in the 12/1951 Air Trails magazine. Bob Sundberg’s Aztec Eagle looks more modern then a 1951 design to me. Could the AMA have gotten the plan date of 12/51 wrong? The problem with the AMA plan service is, they only list the name of a model and they don’t provide a 3 view , so you can’t see the actual design on the plan.

Mike

Nigel Tarvin
    Participant

NFFS plans service also has the plan and there is a thumbnail of it (and all the plans now!) They have it listed as a nostalgia model too….I highly doubt that it is.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Steve Jensen
    Participant

There are more plans that are described as Nostalgia but are not approved.
    ASTEROID
    BAD MEDICINE
    CHICAGO MODEL NUTS DESIGN
    (I stopped checking them.)

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

Steve, were you able to look through your back issues of Sig Air-Modeler to see if the Aztec Eagle in in there? I guess there were only seven issues of that magazine so hopefully it won’t take too long. Don DeLoach sent me a note that he’s come to a dead end so far, so the Aztec Eagle remains a mystery. Regards, Simon

Bruce Hannah
    Participant

This model was in the 1966 Aug.\Sept. Sig Modeler Mag. so yes it is a Golden Age 1\2A

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

Thanks Bruce, that’s a big help. I think that’s the one that I am going to build. When I go to the Nats I will look up the article in the AMA library.
    Regards, Simon

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

The Asteroid that is listed in the NFFS plans is not Nostalgia eligible. This Asteroid version was designed by Bob Hunter on 8-13-57. The plan is for a Satellite/Asteroid powered by a Cox Babe Bee .020 and has a 117 sq. in. wing area. There is also another version at 140 sq. in wing area for a Cox Baby Bee .049. The Asteroid 320 was published in Flying Models Feb. 1959 issue. It has the round built up fuselage with a Holland Hornet .049 for power. This Asteroid was simply the Series 57 Satellite 320 renamed to sell the plan and article to Flying Models.All 3 are Golden Age eligible.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.