BOSTONIAN PLUS

Home Forums Free Flight Rubber Models BOSTONIAN PLUS

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ed O’Brien
    Participant

I am a sport flier living in Connecticut where good flying fields are hard to come by. Most of my limited flying takes at a local school field.

I am considering a Bostonian, just for fun. But I cannot find any straight prop shafts (the old Peck prop shafts). Gizmo Geezer sells a front end for a 7 inch prop. A bit much for a 16 inch span Bostonian. But if I blow it up to 20 or 21 inch span then a 7 inch prop should be OK. I would plan on a long thin motor for a long slow cruise at low altitude. I have several Bostonian plans that would make for interesting sport models. At least I think they would be interesting. I’m also hoping that a 20 inch span model will be a bit easier to trim that a 16 incher. Any comments on the wisdom of this approach?

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

It sounds reasonable; a 20″ model should trim out a little easier than a 16″ model and if you don’t have to stay within contest rules, why not? We used to fly the Bostonian event and it was a lot of fun; I’m a power flyer but I remember building Walt Mooney’s Boston Found design, which was a good flier. As far as prop shafts go, even when the Peck prop shafts were available, most people used to bend their own from music wire with a pair of needle nose pliers. If I remember correctly, .045 wire is about right for a Bostonian. If you don’t have the nose plug, a small rivet or a piece of brass tubing epoxied into the balsa nose block works well.

Denny Dock
    Participant

Thanks Simon for helping out…I would also suggest FFML or Hip Pockets sites

Denny

Ed O’Brien
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. I have more Bostonian plans that I will ever build. I have memories (not especially fond) of trying to bend a suitable prop hook. That is why I went to the Peck prop shafts. My son has a couple pf Gizmo Geezer units and they look as though they are at least straight and somewhat adjustable. Sounds like a winner for me. Now I need to get of my model railroad duff and enlarge a plan either on a copier or with pencil and ruler.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.