Buckeridge Lightweight

Home Forums Free Flight Old Time Rubber Buckeridge Lightweight

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Having competed with various Senators for years, I decided a model with a folding prop might be better. So I built a Buckeridge Lightweight. There is no doubt the model is a great improvement. The nose on the Senator is too short because of fitting the balsa in the box for the kit. Having the wing on cabanes with the Buckeridge allows me to adjust the wing to move the cg. This is brilliant. The wing has a very peculiar section which is supposed to prevent stalling. It strikes me more of a bodge, so that the wing can be built without tilting the t/e. I am not sure why the fus is so bulky either. Anyway it flies a dream and is much easier to trim. I have 4 screws up front to adjust the thrust line and a trim tab to adjust rubber. On its second competetive outing at Salisbury Plain I forgot to set the timer going. After 5 mins it was timed out of site. I spent an hour looking for it. A week later a farmer telephoned that he had found it in his field – 15 miles from where I launched it. The wings are warped beyond repair so I will have to make another set. I reckon it flew for about 1 hour 20 mins. That is my personal best!!
    “Parting is such sweet sorrow” !!!!

CRAIG HOLLIER
    Participant

How about posting a picture of your Buckeridge Lightweight…I am not familar with this design and would like to see it.
    It sounds to be a interesting model.
    Thanks

gos
    Participant

Can’t seem to get a pic on, but if you do a Google Images search there is one there.
    I think I may have a very small drawing of it and from memory it looked good.

Jim Moseley more than likely has a plan for it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I will try to attach a picture of the Buckeridge lightweight.

gos
    Participant

Lovely. Looks great.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Uploading the picture worked!!
    I am told the fus should be black tissue. I started making a second one before I recovered the first. That way it was guaranteed to turn up. I built a new wing for the first and managed to steam the tail and fin,so I now have 2 great models. I use slightly more rubber in the second which is for windier days.

CRAIG HOLLIER
    Participant

Thanks for the hard work of posting the pic…nice looking plane…it should be fun to fly.
    Have fun…

Anonymous
    Inactive

It flies really well (except when I launch into sink-which is quite often). I think Mr Buckeridge knew what he was doing in 1947. I am not convinced he always used the wing section on the plan!! I think half way between the ribs the section is not that different to a modern F1G!!
    The 2 blade folding prop is great.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.