Calypso Major

Home Forums Free Flight Nostalgia Gas Calypso Major

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I built the first one in 1958 after sending off my paper route money to England, and after waiting for 3 months, got a Calypso Major B gas kit along with an InchWorm A-2 glider kit.

The Calypso flew right off the board, and at the first contest in July 1958 at the Mankato, Minnesota airport, it left the field on a rather breezy afternoon, and was last seen floating over a huge swampy area. It was never recovered.

I finally got around to building a replacement, powered by a good K&B .23 greenhead. It has a projected span of 62″, with 495 sq. inches of wing area, projected, and a 175 sq inch stab. It came in at 25 ounces, and was built stout. It balances at 71%, andI am looking forward to getting it trimmed this Spring. Hope it goes as well as the first one. It was a very advanced design for it’s time, and was spec’d out with warps for a right right pattern.

The plans are still availabe from Mike Woodhouse in England, and they were redrawn in 2001. The new plans show an auto rudder, but the original never used an autorudder, so it would not be NOS legal with that feature. The design is approved for the NOS events. I remember it being a pretty hot climbing model with the K&B 23 on it.

CRAIG HOLLIER
    Participant

The Calypso Major is a nice looking plane Dave! You did a fine job building it. I would be nice if you could show us a video of it being timned.
    I know you will enjoy flying it and the best of luck for many wins with it!

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

This is an old topic but I have been looking at the Calypso Major plan and thinking of building it, scaled up a little bit for Class C Nos. Dave you mentioned that you balanced your model at 71 percent, and that’s roughly what the plan shows, but it mentions that it is the balance point without covering. So I’m thinking I should probably balance at about 80 percent with covering, which is typical for rear fin pylon models and should also help with the right glide. Where did your balance point end up once you had the model trimmed out?
    It was great to meet you at the Nats and see your big Hustler fly!
    Regards, Simon

JIM MOSELEY
    Participant

Bear in mind that back in the day the design, in its various sizes, was popularly known amongst Brit power flyers as the ‘Collapso’

Read that as you choose…..

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

And what, pray tell, did it do to deserve that name?

Anonymous
    Inactive

The wing is pretty solid, especially since I added sheeting to the center section. Have flown it maybe a dozen times. It goes nice, but this is more of a keeper for me than a competition model. I prefer the Hustlers for competition. K&B 23 is not overpowered.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.