Classic and F1A

Home Forums Free Flight Gliders Classic and F1A

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Dick Bertrand
    Participant

I’ve been out of it for awhile—-
    Can I fly an F1A qualified glider also in Classic?
    Can I fly a classic gas job also in AMA gas?
    Thermals,Dick Bertrand
    Guatemala

Dean McGinnes
    Participant

Yes to both. The F1A will be a bit heavy, and you can’t circle tow or bunt. The Classic Gas will be at a disadvantage to a long wing bunter in AMA gas, but they are still rare.

Dick Bertrand
    Participant

Thanks Dean,

I enjoy the disadvantage! Can’t circle tow or bunt anyways at 79, even though my gliders have circle tow hooks.
    Using just my thermal detector at the 1987 WFFC in France, we got better times than 10 other countries.
    Represented Guatemala.
    Plan to do better in 2013.
    You going to be at the Nats?

Thermals,

Dick Bertrand in Guatemala

Dean McGinnes
    Participant

Yes Dick, I plan to be at the NATS.

Just moved lock stock & barrel from Florida to Alabama and my model stuff is still packed in boxes. Still have to get my workbenches reassembled. Next step is to repair the damage from the last NATS which was the last time I flew.

Dick Bertrand
    Participant

Great, what do you plan to fly?

Dean McGinnes
    Participant

Dick, I usually fly Nos Gas and some Classic.

Dick Bertrand
    Participant

sEE YOU THERE!

Dick Bertrand
    Participant

Hi Dean,
    We somehow missed each other at the Nats last year.
    I’ll be going again this year, Will camp out in the “primitive camping” area and flying all events parked next to Bob Hanford.

I’ll be flying F1A, Classic Towline, A Gas, B Gas and AB Classic Gas.

Are you goling?

A question to everyone: what’s the best angle for the towhook to have related to the CG?
    Last year I had great difficulty getting my glider up (not running like I used to) and I’d like to invent a simple attachment to the hook or ring to effectively move the hook backwards without actually unscrewing it, since that then requires a complicated re-setting of the line to the rudder. This is keeping me awake!
    Any comments? I hope i’m explaining myself adequately.

Thermals,

Dick Bertrand
    Guatemala

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dick,

The standard cg to hook position on normal F1A is .70″ to .75″.
    Another method is to use 17 degree from the CG (at bottom of the wing) down and forward to the hook /ring position.

If there is room on your hook, some flyers have secured a spacer in the front, secured with kevlar thread to effectively moving the ring / hook rearward.

JIM

Dean McGinnes
    Participant

Dick,

Just saw your post. You are probably on your way already. I will arrive Friday night. I fly with the same gang so hopefully we won’t miss each other. I will be flying the same gas events as you, and some Nos Gas as well. See you in a few days.

Dick Bertrand
    Participant

Thanks Jim and Dean,

Jim, the spacer in front is certainly the way to go. Not sure how the kevlar thread reinforced spacer works, but I’ll figure it out ! I forgot that several years ago I hot stuffed a strip of wood in front of the hook but it popped off on tow. I see now the need for the kevlar thread reinforcement.

Dean, it’ll be great to meet up! I come in on Saturday or Sunday depending on whether I use my daughters car or have to rent one.
    Delta says they’ll let me carry on my 56″ model box and store it in the first class wardrobe closet!!!

Thermals,

Dick Bertrand in Guatemala

Dean McGinnes
    Participant

Dick,

I sent you an email with my cell number.

Dick Bertrand
    Participant

OK Dean,
    I’ll look for it. I just got in to my daughter’s place last night and I’ll be driving down on Saturday. See you there!
    Dick

Dick Bertrand
    Participant

Thanks for your help at the Nats, Dean!
    Dick

Dean McGinnes
    Participant

You’re welcome. Hope you had a great NATS experience and a safe trip home.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.