Coloring dope

Home Forums Free Flight Construction Tips & Tricks Coloring dope

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, I would like to know a good source for dye, to add to my dope, to color polyspan. Also, is it better to spray on after a couple coats of clear or brush on during the initial doping?
    Thanks in advance…….Jeff

Bill Shailor
    Participant

Jeff,
    FAI Model Supply sells some pretty good dye. It is also easy to mix. Mostly thinner and a little dope. You can brush it, but for best results, it should be sprayed. For Polyspan, usually one or two coats of clear dope are needed as a base. Since the dye is mostly thinner, it doesn’t add much weight at all.

PAUL CROWLEY
    Participant

John Clapp at FAI Model Supply sells dyes of various colors that can be mixed for even more colors for Polyspan. I suggest no more than two coats of clear dope and then SPRAYING the color on, no brushing. Follow his directions for mixing. I have sprayed many models with Polyaspan and this system works great.

Paul Crowley

Anonymous
    Inactive

Again, many thanks.

Scott Lapraik
    Participant

Interesting that this thread came up because I was wondering whether any one has tried Rit fabric dye as a colorant for dope?? Any thoughts?

Scott

PAUL CROWLEY
    Participant

I use Rite Dye dissolved in water to dye clealr mylar. So I do have some experance using it. I suggest you buy a box and try dissolving some in acetone, lacquer thinner or alcohol. If that works you should be able to use it. Let us know,OK.

Paul Crowley

Anonymous
    Inactive

Years ago I used the dry form of Rit dissolved in thinner, decanted to remove a lot of undissolved material and then added to dope. I was using Sig dope and I think lite coat beautrite, not Nitrate at any rate. This worked very well and seemed to further plastisize the dope. It almost made it rubbery which is why I think it was lite-coat. The colors red and gold seemed to work like the aniline dyes that are used now. I do not remember any fuel proof problems but this was used mainly on rubber and gliders with an occasional gas job.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.