My first attempt of competing in hlg with a dlg was a disaster in Eloy last weekend…except that I learned a couple of helpful things. One, my launch peg was way too far back causing the nose to rise on launch. This cause the glider to go too far to the left and lose a lot of altitude. I moved the peg to the high point, about 1.25″ in from the tip. Second, I increased the rudder size(upon Stan’s suggestion), with the purpose of having the right rudder act my prominent upon launch. Both of these changes have proved to be helpful…75% of the launches are now ok and more predictable. It is still tempting to hold on too long on the launch(which is a disaster), especially when trying to throw hard.
It will take practice flying out of a pen with transition placement, even with a dlg that is launching well…so on to the practice field!