Dow Corning rubber lube

Home Forums Free Flight Rubber Models Dow Corning rubber lube

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

All you Americans seem to think Dow Corning grease is the best rubber lube.Does anyone know where to get it in England, preferably mail order, and what is it called in England.Alternatively, is there an eqivalent. At the moment I am using silicone treadmill lubricant but it is a bit thin.
    Thanks,in anticipation.

DAN BERRY
    Participant

Dow Corning 33 is all I know to call it. I get from McMaster-Carr.
    It is marketed as a low-temp grease, if that helps locate it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have found Dow Corning 55 on eBay U.K. I hope it is not much different.
    Thanks

Ed Hardin
    Participant

Doc,
    Here is the link to McMaster Carr for the Dow Corning 33.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#dow-corning-molykote-33-grease/=h7qqk5
    as you can see it’s not cheap. The web site indicates that Dow 55 is an o-ring lubricant
    not to be used with silicone. I think they ship worldwide. Dow Corning 33 is all I use now.
    Ed Hardin

Anonymous
    Inactive

At last found it here.Not cheap though.

http://www.theoben.co.uk

Norm Furutani
    Participant

You can find Dow33 at paintball suppliers. It is often sold in smaller containers for less price (but NOT cheaper by weight). For a sport or indoor flyer, it could be a lifetime supply and the smaller containers store better in your model box. Google Dow33.

– Norm

Bill Schmidt
    Participant

I notice that lots of folks stipulate using Dow-Corning 33 compound for their rubber lube. It is truly a compound made up of several ingredients that really aren’t wanted / needed in a rubber lube. Here at Learjet, it is used on the landing gear struts as it doesn’t freeze at the high altitude temperatures encountered in flight. I have always used Dow Corning #4 (thicker) 0r # 7, a bit softer, for my rubber lube. It is translucent in appearance as it doesn’t contain all the other ingredients found in #33. I don’t know what Cessna across the way uses on the Citations.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.