F1D- BOM

Home Forums Free Flight Indoor F1D- BOM

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JLorbiecki
    Participant

OK, as we all know, the F1 classes allow factory models- No BOM…And in a way, it has helped the classes- I know some may disagree…

My question- is there a BOM for F1D? And, if there isn’t, whay hasn’t someone taken it upon themselves to make these available? It may make folks with fat fingers able to compete and increase the ranks….

I have my kevlar on….

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok then John, BOM has probably kept a lot of people from competing in indoor in general, Maybe a Sport or Novice division w/o BOM in selected events would bring out more modelers. I kinda doubt it’s gonna matter,as Free Flight in general has narrowed its interest by default. I’m the child of a modeler who spent his life teaching the arcane art of modeling. I learned by osmosis as a fixture at meetings and contests in the 50s,60s, and 70s before family took over. I remember the building almost being the most enjoyable part of the hobby. It still is, but those hours are hard to find for some oif us. I compete in one FAI event precisely because I enjoy flying a modern airplane. As far as I know F1D still has aBOM rule and probably should. Sounds a bit elitist, but they are so esthetically pleasing you become almost emotionally attached to them. SECRET ! Almost anyone can build a competitive F1D. If I can, anyone can.The learning curve is steep, but managable. Heck, I broke 40 min with my seventh model.You do need two good eyes.I know I would’nt want to mass produce the buggers. Doesn’t seem to make much difference BOM or no. Hard toget folks out to fly as it is. ….better go build.

Anonymous
    Inactive

… it is a bit hidden, but in CIAM documents: http://www.fai.org/ciam-documents you can find the general rules for model airplanes: http://www.fai.org/component/phocadownload/category/?download=4083:sc4-vol-abr-general-rules-for-ciam-activities-competitions-and-records-2011 and there is the rule B.3.1.a) which says:

Unless stated otherwise, the competitor named on the entry form must be builder of the model aircraft entered.

This rule is explicitly cancelled for e.g. all outdoor FF classes, but not for indoor. Therefore BOM rule applies for F1D.

I have always wondered, why you can buy the VP hubs then, as these are the most challenging part of a F1D model, and I find using commercial hubs quite stretches the BOM rule….

JLorbiecki
    Participant

Looks like the question has been answered! Thanks…

As far as the hub, I guess it would follow the same as in other classes- You can buy components but the builder must put them together- AMA flyers don’t carve props for their Nelsons! Carbon fiber tail booms, etc…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.