Getting one out of the trees at the 60th KOI

Home Forums Free Flight Photos & Videos Getting one out of the trees at the 60th KOI

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Duncan McBride
    Participant

Skeeter will always help out, even when it’s one of those e-lectric models…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=TPl47Mp0_Cc&app=desktop

David Bevan
    Participant

We are lucky to know such good people. Tom Kerr once went 60-80 feet up into the trees at Washington’s Crossing park to bring down my A-2. Good selfless people in our sport!

Dick Bertrand
    Participant

Skeeter also helped me get my F1A glider out of there!
    What a great bunch of guys!
    Thanks
    Dick Bertrand

Dick Bertrand
    Participant

Also TOM, the rocket guy, went into the trees for my glider TWice!

Thanks Tom!

Dick Bertrand

Dick Bertrand
    Participant

Duncan, Is that you in the video?
    I’m getting the names of all the guys I’m meeting a bit shuffled up.

Dick Bertrand

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have not been to King Orange since the winter of 1958. But I have been in Florida the past 12 years in March, flying and retrieving in the jungles. Spent two days either on my hands and knees trying to enter the jungle of trees, or climbing to get a view of a lost model. Can you believe that the jungles can be much more dense than shown in the video on this post? Also had to figure out how to get through a 6 foot high briar patch in the middle of this jungle. You need a 10 foot 2 x 12 plank to lean up against the briars, gradually step it down to the end, step off, reposition, and start again. It can take an hour to make a few hundred yards. And of course, you need to crawl into the jungle with your plank if it is dense. Luckily, did not run into snakes or alligators!
    Oh what fun to fly free flight in Florida!!!!

Dick Bertrand
    Participant

I know the 2 in the pic.
    One is Skeeter and the other is

Duncan or Dave?

Dick Bertrand

Duncan McBride
    Participant

Skeeter is in the tree, using the pole to bring down Dale Elder’s plane. That’s Dale catching the model. He hands it to me, behind the camera. Notice the short sleeves, the short pants, the warm sunny weather. You should all come to KOI next year.

Dick Bertrand
    Participant

Got it! Of course—Dale.
    Tom, the rocket guy, helped me also get my A2 out of there..
    Lost it completely on the 3 rd flight, but it has now been found and returned by Chris, the ultralite flyer. Joe Clawson’s neighbor.

Thermals,

Dick

Dick Bertrand
    Participant

Would you believe this?
    I was over at Palm Bay on the 10th and Skeeter walks up with my missing for 2 weeks Satellite 450!!!
    He found it sitting on top of the club’s hedgehog machine. A Little damaged, but will be repaired—-again.
    It seems that planes just don’t stay lost at Palm Bay!

On a sad note

Henry Hill was there on the 10th, being his usual helpful, caring, kind self.
    In just a few encounters with him, a friendship was there.
    His 24 inch rubber cabin job somehow flew into the open back of my van and fluttered around awhile till Henry came and retrieved it.

I got a call yesterday from Joe Clawson informing me that Henry passed away during the 24 hour period
    since we had a bite to eat, all of us with Henry at the local Subway.

How short life is.

This is all the info I have at the moment.

You will be missed, my friend.
    See you downwind.

Dick Bertrand

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.