I need a flying field!!

Home Forums Free Flight Everything Else I need a flying field!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    bmnewland
    Participant

I have been flying RC along time. Free Flight has completely caught my interest and was ready to order and build something. My interest would be P-30 class, 1/2a gas as a starter. But as I was thinking about this I realized I can’t think of any large fields to fly from. I think I am land locked with cornfields and sowbean fields. We do have a nice RC field but locked in with cornfields. I do get envious when I see some of the wide open fields I see on free flight videos. I live in Decatur, IL and was wondering if there is anybody that is a free flighter near this area. The closest club I can find is in St. Louis, MO. but that would be a 2.5 hour drive. Any of you experience lack of fields to fly in and what did you do.

DAN BERRY
    Participant

What town are you in? There might be guys closer than you think.
    Try to find a sod farm. Flying fields are one of our big problems.

Robert Dunham II
    Participant

Dan, bmnewland said he lived in Decatur, IL. The closest guy I can think of is Gene Wicks who lives in Champaigne, IL. I do not have his email addy or phone number but I sure someone can chime in. Of course, there are guys in the Chicago area but that’s no closer that St. Louis. Welcome to FF!
    Robert

bmnewland
    Participant

I’ll try to locate Gene Wicks in Champaign, IL. Also I will try to see if there are any sod farms nearby. I really appreciate the help. I am planning on going to the Free Flight NATS in Muncie, IN as a spectator on the Friday events. Can’t wait to see some free flight competition.

DAN BERRY
    Participant

I thought Gene was in Normal, Il.

Dean McGinnes
    Participant

I always regarded Gene as more Champaign than Normal 😛

bmnewland
    Participant

Does anybody have Gene Wicks phone number in Normal, IL. I found his address then called information but the number I got seem to be a FAX number. Thanks.

bmnewland
    Participant

Also does any one know of any other free flighters around the Decatur, Springfield, Champaign, Bloomington, IL area. If not I might be going it alone here. Also still have not found field yet. Starting to wonder about my decision to go into free flight. No field, no flying. Was really looking foward to this because I’m tired of RC stuff.

bmnewland
    Participant

My interest in free flight has been reborn. Any freeflighters near Decatur, Springfield, Decatur, Illinois. Don’t care what class, indoor or out. thanks.

Mark Romanowitz
    Participant

I’m in the same boat.. I live in the Chicago area (Aurora, IL).. Flying fields are non-existent.

I was thinking of taking a few days off work and driving to Muncie and flying there.. If there is anyone from my area who might be interested, there are some windows (during the week unfortunately) when the IAC at Muncie will be “unscheduled”..

Let me know..

Mark Romanowitz

Ed O’Brien
    Participant

I feel your pain. I am in central Connecticut. Talk about a bad choice in choosing where to relocate to. There is a local SAM club that flies on a sod farm across the river but, believe it or not they are hard to find out there as they seem to fly mostly competition and little evening sport flying. Besides I really don’t want to fork out whatever the AMA charges just to fly the occasional HLG or small model a couple times a month. My son and I are resigned to a medium sized school field with trees on 3 sides and the school on the fourth. Not ideal by a long shot but it is only 5 minutes away. We have finally accepted the challenge of trimming our models to circle and stay below tree top height to avoid the wind.

Ed OBrien

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.