Icarex questions

Home Forums Free Flight Construction Tips & Tricks Icarex questions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Hopkins
    Participant

So I built some test frames so I could try covering with Icarex. So far the results are mixed.
    I a using Loctite contact cement. I tested 3M77, E6000,Devcon Weldit and Seal All contact cement. The Loctite contact cement has the best peal away strength the Devcon the least. The Devcon can be thinned with acetone but the E6000 and Seal All could not be thinned.

I believe Icarex PC is a PolyCarbonate and IPS recommends IPS45 to bond polycarbonates to wood.
    http://www.alumapanel.com/view_product.cfm?step=1&lines_ID=300&name=IPS%20Weld%20On%20%2345 which maybe like swatting flies with a sledge hammer.

What brings this one is that after attaching the Icarex to the test frames and the applying heat with a heat gun to shrink, The Icarex shrinks up nicely, but come back 10 minutes later, it has sagged. So what is happening here, is the glue stretching? or the icarex going back to its original size? Any suggestions? Do I need to seal it right away with dope?

Also since this is for a power model, should I be using butyrate rather than nitrate dope to seal. Clear butyrate can be had here:
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cs/randolphcoatings_butyratedopecleartautening.html

As you might be able to tell, my frustration level is running a little high.
    dlh98370

Dean McGinnes
    Participant

I had really mixed results with Icarex on a Super Pearl. Could never get it really tight, and having to prep the airframe (I used Velcro cement)’ then having to seal it with butyrate with a short area of epoxy at the center, it just took too long compared to my still-favorite UltraCote, and I can get UltraCote much tighter. Don’t think it imparts any more torsional strength than UltraCote either. For me, it is back to my favorite. Cut to size, iron it on, shrink and go on with your life.

Others will, I am sure, disagree. 🙂

Daniel Hopkins
    Participant

I had originally thought that the problem was going to be adhering the fabric to the wood. But now the real issue seems to be shrinking or rather keeping the fabric shrunk. I did some web searches and on the MMS yahoo group forum the is a mention of an article in the May-June 2002 NFFS digest by Mike Achteburgs. If any one has a copy of the article, I would appreciate it.

It may also be that the structure I an trying to cover is inappropriate for the material. The few articles I can find show wing structures with carbon D boxes that you can tightly stretch the material whilst covering. I dunno 🙄
    dlh98370

Lee Hines
    Participant

Hmmm, Using Velcro thinned cement to attach Icarex on composite wings, I have no trouble getting tight, wrinkle free(nearly, anyway) cover jobs.
    I use hot shoes & heat guns to adhere & shrink the stuff.
    Never having used it on a non-composite structure, my guess it, shrinking it like I do will cause structural distortion to a light wood surface.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I covered my TOp Notch Maverick with the 1/2 oz. Icarex in white and Florescent Orange using first Thinned Velcro and then Stix It (I think) And it has worked fine. THis is an F1Q electric so no dope just plain. It’s over two years old now and has never needed reshrinking. Hint: switch to electric :0)

Anonymous
    Inactive

There are several types of Icarex. Some are not suitable for models. So you may have the wrong type?

So what is the right type, and where can you purchase it NOW?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.