Looking for high thrust designs

Home Forums Free Flight Nostalgia Gas Looking for high thrust designs

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

I’ve been looking at the Hustler too and wondering why it needs all those ribs. The nostalgia rules allow you to add or subtract ribs as you scale up or down, but what if you are building it the same size. In the article that was in the NFFS Digest when the Hustler was approved, Dave Edmondson said that the rib spacing was reduced from 1-1/2″ to one inch to add more weight for FAI. It would make a lot more sense to build it with 1-1/2″ rib spacing, if that’s legal. Sid Jepson used a jig saw to cut the front fuselage outline out of 3/8 plywood. He cut is so it’s about a quarter inch all round, so maybe it’s not that heavy, but I would build a balsa outline.

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

I fly a 600 T-Bird which was originally built from a BMJR kit. It’s based on the original 600 version and has an under cambered airfoil. Most people flying a 600 use a scaled up version of the 1/2-A which has a flat bottom airfoil and that’s what I would do if I was to do it again.
    I had a lot of trouble with the wing design on the BMJR version. It has spars that go through the centre of the ribs. The plans recommend reinforcing the spars with carbon fibre, which I don’t think is legal in nostalgia, or using spruce spars which is what I did. However, even though the wing was covered in polyspan, it was quite flexible. With an OS. 29, at a certain speed in the climb the tips would wash out and send the model into a dive.
    I saw two others do that at the last Muncie SAM Champs. So, I built a new wing where I basically split the spars — the front are 1/4 sq. and the rear are 3/16 — located in the same location on the wing but top and bottom with webbing in between, and now I have a really rigid wing that is 2-1/2 ounces lighter than the original. And now it flies pretty good with the .29 in Class B and a Torpedo 32 for Class C.

Denny Dock
    Participant

Salt Lake City Sadie…Outerzone 1954
    DDock

JohnRiese
    Participant

Now that is something different. Looks complicated!

John

Denny Dock
    Participant

John,
    I like Wild Blue too(jim ORielly)…That would be a hard little sucker to build…but great look….
    DDock

Nigel Tarvin
    Participant

Salt Lake City Sadie. I just have to get around to covering it! 🙄

Cheers,
    Nigel

JohnRiese
    Participant

That’s a beautiful plane. Let’s see it finished.

A bit above my patience and building skill level.

John

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

Bob Deshields has a 900 sq. in. Zero for a O.S.Max 35 it should weigh 37 ozs. it just needs covering and trim it was enlarged from the 1/2a plan

Mike Schwartz

Glenn Schneider
    Participant

I’ve had decent results with Stan Hill’s Amazoom. Easy to build and trim. Published in the Nov 1955 MAN as a FAI model. The original plan has scaling factors for four different sizes including 1/2 A so it can be built as an early 1/2A. I currently have four, 1/4A (BMJR), Early 1/2 A (Cub), original 400 (Green head), 500 sq in(OS 15 III). Klarich has a 600 sq in Zero short kit scaled from the 1/2 A. Thermals, Glenn

Denny Dock
    Participant

John,
    Found a few more for you…Just depends on how brave you are:
    All of these are on the Volar Libremente web site.
    Southern Belle…1956…Round tip Amazon type
    Hi Fli…Phil Kraft…I have seen a couple of these go real good.Fairly easy to build
    Raunchy…George Perryman (from rubber fame)1953…Would be interesting scaled up
    Little Giant….1954…high thrust pusher
    Elf Axe…1949…Stab on the bottom can be difficult
    Konkerer…1952…high thrust pusher payload…Build for Rudy’s Nostalgia Payload event
    There you go…Have fun
    DDock

Norm Furutani
    Participant

Hi John,

“Greene Hornet” http://www.jimoreillymodelplans.com/NOS14-NOS20.htm

I liked the look of the “Hot Head” http://www.jimoreillymodelplans.com/NOS24-NOS28.htm
    Norm

JohnRiese
    Participant

Thanks for all the tips. I have either downloaded or ordered the plans mentioned. Quite a few choices!

John

Peter Tolhurst
    Participant

Hello John

In case you’ve not seen it, another one I like is Dick Mathis’ ‘Jalapena’, and you can download the plan & build article here:
    http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3465

So much to build, so little time

Cheers

Peter

JohnRiese
    Participant

Peter,

That looks like a neat airplane to build. The fuselage also looks ready to break right at the end of the pylon upon a DT landing, considering the force created when the under slung fin hits.

Unfortunately, it isn’t listed in the NFFS Nostalgia eligible list or I would build one.

This is a great discussion.

John

DAN BERRY
    Participant

Jalapena isn’t a Nostalgia design.
    A side note: It’s a pretty thin airfoil.
    Gene smith has one with a VA 049. It is very fast. Plastic covering wasn’t up to the job. It now has tissue over the plastic.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.