Newfangled Covering Iron

Home Forums Free Flight Equipment Newfangled Covering Iron

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Dean McGinnes
    Participant

I have a couple old-school covering irons, but I understand from a reliable un-named source that there are now digitally controlled irons which are much more accurate and reliable than the old stuff. None of mine are ever the same, requiring much calibration with a coil spring temp gauge (and how accurate is THAT?) to set the required temperature.

Is this true, and does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanques in advance.

Dick Bertrand
    Participant

Hi Dean,

I’m in michigan now and my old one went kaput. I bought one of the newfangles ones (a bit costly) and it seems to work fine.

Thermals,

Dick

Howard Boyer
    Participant

A new fangled gadget!! Got to get one!! Dick, where did you get yours? Is it 110V? Sounds like it sure does beat the ol’ coil spring temp gauge. Thanks a bunch.

Howie

Dick Bertrand
    Participant

Hahaha. Picked it up at the Cobblestone Hobbies in Holland Michigan.

Dick Bertrand
    Participant

Yes, it’s 110v

Dean McGinnes
    Participant

Dick, those of us who do not live there need to know brand, model number, etc. 🙂

Howard Boyer
    Participant

After spending ten years in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (youper…actually a word now), I can understand if Dick doesn’t get back to us right away. Wouldn’t want him to miss the two days of summer there!!!! Now that I consider it, a MAX may last an entire summer in the U.P. 🙄

Dick if you can find the time the answer to Dean’s questions would be most helpful.

Steve Jensen
    Participant

Google Prolux Digital LCD Sealing Iron

Dean McGinnes
    Participant

The Prolux unit which turned up in the search appears to be all 220+ voltage. I really need 110/115 US voltage.

Steve Jensen
    Participant
    Dean McGinnes
    Participant

Thanks,

Went to the site. This appears to lack the LCD temp indicator, and, of course, they were out of stock. Left my email so they can tell me when they get more in. Maybe the new one will have the screen.

Howard Boyer
    Participant

Stevej Thanks for your help it is really appreciated. I also went to the site and found although 110V, the model shown isn’t the one with the digital LCD indicator in the handle. I believe this may be another Prolux model and possibly not available in U.S. 110V. On an off chance I called Cobblestone Hobby Shop in Holland, MI. The person I spoke to said they didn’t carry Prolux and when I asked about a digital covering iron he said they had the Coverite 21st Century Iron. I already have one of those and it still requires I use the old coil spring thermometer. Once again I appreciate all the help.

Thermals 😀

Steve Jensen
    Participant

I email’ed this eBay seller in China about a 120v LCD version. We shall see…
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161114083462&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Steve Jensen
    Participant

No joy. His reply- “I’m sorry, I don’t have 110 v.”
    @stevej wrote:

I email’ed this eBay seller in China about a 120v LCD version. We shall see…
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161114083462&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Steve Jensen
    Participant

Here’s the latest. I ordered one from Banggood Network CO., LTD $44.53 shipped, from China. Model #1363-220v. Took a couple weeks to arrive.
    http://www.banggood.com/
    cservice@banggood.com
    Came with an adapter to plug into a 110v outlet. I put the adapter on the cord, set the read-out to F and turned it on with my fingers crossed. It heated up and stopped at the temp I had it adjusted to. I verified the temp with a digital cooking probe, just one degree off. Seems to work ok.
    Instructions on the box and on the web site (in chin-glish).
    Features-
    1).Offer from 100 precise digital temperature control,to 220 ( centigradetemperature ) or 212 to 428 (Fahrenheit temperature );
    2).LCD display accurate current temperature;
    3).Can change units celsiuss temperature to Fahrenheit temperature;
    4).Increase accuracy thermostatic control;
    5).For all heat shrinkable film use;
    6).New type iron flatheads items derision easier ironing;
    7).Ascended teflon iron face to prevent scratches;
    8).Flatheads possesses safe metal standpoint;
    9).Special tpr apuntil substance provide design comfortable treatment . it ergonomic;
    10).When it started , the iron flatheads on the surface 6h later will automatically snuffed out.
    How to use :

1).Surface treatment in need covering place,surface must be careful grinding smooth,photopic 320 best & deg . fine sand paper polished , grinding surface woodmeal completed put clean.pay special attention can’t have surface paint unctuous and board table,otherwise glue on the board .
    2).flatheads temperature flatheads in use before flatheads base plate on the bag one layer 100% cotton fabric .
    100 – 120,can make the skin to produce the adhesion and board adhesive.
    150,medium temperature,is the best temperatures.
    180,Scan to the reubenites skin contraction,tauten

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.