Numbers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    drake123
    Participant

I used to cut my AMA #’s from jap tissue years ago. Are there any commercially available now or what do you guys use now? Thanks

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

You can get sheets of jap tissue and other covering materials from Aerodyne online. You have to cut out your own numbers just like the old days. You can use various online sites to design your letter’s and numbers. You can make any design using any number of fonts to make the design. Just measure the lenght of the area that you want to cover and size the letters and numbers to fit. Just print out the results and you have a ready made template. Sure beats the old days using graph paper.

Mike Schwartz

drake123
    Participant

Thanks Mike. It just dawned on me that I can waterjet a template using maybe .010 shim stock. If I use brass it wouldn’t dull the blade as I cut them out. I might experiment putting a thin coat of dope on the tissue before doing the actual cutting so as to not “pull” the tissue.
    Drake

gos
    Participant

I’ve always just cut out my number from tissue then doped it on.

Derek McGuckin
    Participant

I print the numbers directly on the tissue with an ink jet printer. You can use any font or size you want. I reverse print so the numbers are a mirror image and apply the tissue with the numbers on the inside so they look normal on the outside. This keeps them from running when shrinking and doping. That could be dependent on your ink cartridge though.

Rick Pangell
    Participant

Try Callie Graphics…they will cut just about anything you want or need…
    http://callie-graphics.com/
    Rick Pangell

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

The best way to stop the tissue from pulling while you cut out your letters or trim is to use a sharp blade. When the blades get a little dull, thats when the pulling happens. Depending on the blade quality you may have to change the blades more often. This is one example where cheap blades are not the best way to go. Try getting the industrial grade blades instead of the cheaper Home Depot brand. Bob DeShields and myself use single edge blades rather then Exacto blades as this was the way we were taught to cut tissue when we were jrs. and learned tissue cutting tricks from Toshi Matsuda. Toshi was the master at tissue trim.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.