Pink Elephant F1A

Home Forums Free Flight Gliders Pink Elephant F1A

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi there, I was just about to start rebuilding my pinky. I purchased the plans from NFFS. I had a look at them this morning, and it seems that there could be a page missing. All that I have on the plan is a partial fuselage (missing partial vertical fin), rig profiles (both wing and stab) and what seems to be the plan for the outer wing panels. I don’t have a plan for the stab or inner wing panels. Should there be another page?

Thanks, Brad.

JIM MOSELEY
    Participant

Yes. The original plan from Aeromodeller was a ‘freebie’ enclosure within the magazine.

You only have one side of it!

I can have the plan copied when next to the pro graphics shop in next town but could be a couple of weeks yet.

If of any use, email me your postal delivery address – to jjmoseley@look.ca and I’ll take care of it for you.

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

I’m curious, how well does the Pink Elephant fly compared to some of the other models commonly used in Classic glider and in particular compared to the Ultimate Dragmaster? I’ve had the plan for years and have been looking at it recently with the thought of building something that would get a little better still air time than the Andy Crisp Flashback that I have been flying and yet would be relatively quick and easy to build.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s a cracker 😀

The open structure makes it a real thermal hound and I used one for a couple of years as my main ‘modern’ glider whilst I got a feel for competitions. I like Andy’s Flashback, but . . .
    The only problem I had was my inexperience in towing meant I broke the wings whilst sprinting on launch 😕 During the repair I replaced the top 1/8 x 1/8 spruce with a 1/8 x 3/8 spruce – job done! (In fact the wings were recently passed on to a young clubmate. Not bad for a pair of 15 year old wings that had taught myself and another friend to fly)

Have a go at one – you won’t be dissapointed
    Paul

gos
    Participant

I built one of them when they first came out…..was it 1979?????? Flew it now and then for 30 years, got a couple of minor places with it and sold it to a guy up the road a year or so ago.
    They tow and fly quite well. I used a ‘glass tube on mine for the fuselage.

Anonymous
    Inactive

HELLO! it seems the problem still exists! i have just purchased the same pink elephant plans and have received only the one sheet.it seems that in cataloging this plan the shop which prints the plans was not informed of the two pages needed, otherwise the copy (the page i received) came in great shape and quality! i have the wings all done (30 years ago, if you can imagine!) i just want to finish it for my kid to train on it! what is the best way to go about getting the second page? thanks to all for any replies!! yuda

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

If you’re still stuck, please send me a PM with your address and I will photocopy my plan and send it to you. I’ve had some similar problems with NFFS plans recently. I guess with the switch to digital files and the fact that the printer is not (I assume) an airplane guy, these things can happen.
    Regards, Simon

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Pink Elephant was my first F1A over 30 years ago-a good model for the era-I rate it as better than the ‘Flashback’ which was the third F1A I built (the second one was a Pink Elephant derivative). The PE is fairly typical of best British practice of the late 70s…..I don’t know how it would compare with the Dragmaster in performance, but you have to handle the Dragmaster with kid gloves-the wing structure is ridiculously weak! The ‘PE’ was designed for typically British weather conditions (often wet and blustery) so is a lot stronger. I’d happily build another one for Classic……but NZ rules limit us to Dec 1970 for the Classic era…….so my future Classic A/2 will be the incomparable ‘Lively Lady’ ….from May 1970 Aeromodeller (it was also the cover model of that issue, being the 1969 World F1A Champion’s winning design)

ChrisM
    ‘ffkiwi’

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.