Satellite 788

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

Greetings all:
    I finally finished all the repair jobs from the past couple of years and can start on a new airplane. I was looking at the 2015 Nats schedule and I noticed they moved Class D to Monday. I don’t have anything for that event, so I dug out a Klarich kit for a Satellite 788 that I’ve had for a few years along with a Magnum Pro 45 that Bob Mattes converted to FF for me. It’s a nice kit with real nice wood and accurately cut parts. It’s very complete and even includes the fuselage sides, which surprised me. However, just like the original kit, they are in two pieces so I will cut my own sides from four-foot sheets. I did have some difficulty getting the ribs to line up and then, after I measured everything on the plan, I realized it was due to photocopier distortion on the plan. There is about 3/16 difference in the wing cord at the left tip/main panel break versus the right. So, I just let the ribs guide where the leading edges lined up and everything worked.
    I am a little worried that the Magnum might be too much motor — Bob had it turning a 10/4 at around 19,000 rpm. As I was digging through my box of engines I came across one of the Torpedo 40s that this thing was originally designed for. It’s such a nice light motor, I suspect the airplane would be a whole lot more fun, if not as competitive, with that motor. But I already have two Class C ships and this is the only Class D motor I have.
    Regards, Simon

Robert Dunham II
    Participant

Nice build Simon! My 788GLH has the stab moved 5″ back from what was drawn on the plans plus I rear finned the rudder and “X” braced each wing panel- weighs 43ozs. It uses a K&B 6.6 (.41) RIRE engine turning an APC 9.5 X 4.5 prop, 22-23K on 40% nitro- It goes great! Assuming if you simply just Polyspan cover the straight rib wing, I would think your 788 should be able to handle the Magnum .45.
    Robert

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

Hi Robert:
    Thanks for the advice and posting the photo of your Satellite. That’s a nice model! The only beefing up I was planning was to put 1/16 webs between the main spars. And I will be covering it with Polyspan, so it should be pretty stiff. I am not making any changes to the configuration because I want it to fly right/left like it was designed to. I have seen Hank Sperzel’s similar model fly and it goes great!
    Regards, Simon

DAN BERRY
    Participant

Hank’s 788 has auto-surfaces.
    The plane is plenty big to handle the engine you’re looking at.

Scott Lapraik
    Participant

Simon, you’ll like the way the 788 flys! Picks of mine are attached. Pwr. is a K&B 6.5 with a 9.5 x 4.5 APC prop. As you can see I added Warren Truss’ to mine so I could cover it in Ultra Coat. Your covering it with Polyspan will add plenty of rigidity. Your .45 engine will be a good pwr. source for it.

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

All framed up and ready to cover whenever the weather around here starts to warm up!

Anonymous
    Inactive

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

My 788 Satellite had its first flight on Thursday of the Nats back in July 2016. The weather was perfect for test flying and I put up a bunch of flights and it flew very well and it’s a real easy friendly airplane to fly. I built it and set it up exactly according to the plan — about 1/8 washout in the left main panel and flying right/left like a Satellite should. In fact the only adjustment I made was to the rudder tab, but quickly figured out that I should have left it where I had it about one eighth left. I ended up using the OS FSR .40 from another Class C model that I had pranged at our May contest. I figured the Magnum Pro .45 might be a little too hot. On Friday I flew it in C/D Classic gas and ended up forth, so not bad for a first contest.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Denny Dock
    Participant

Hey Boys,
    I am building a 788 too. I think I will add a few diagonals like Scott did on his. Fair K&B 6.5, covering will be Polyspan.
    Also building a lighter fuselage for my Zingo for one design.Finished Gollywock.
    Denny

Mike Richardson
    Participant

Denny….Gollywock? That has to be a misprint. Or did you decide to try a real man’s class of free flight.

Mike R.

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

Hi Denny, I don’t think you will need the diagonals if you are covering with Polyspan, but it can’t hurt and after your experience with flutter on your Pendleton Fault at the SAM Champs I can see why that might worry you. (I think it was just the wind).
    I have been very confused by 2017’s one design contest. Originally I was going to build a Zingo with Supertigre .15. Then I thought, why don’t I just fix my old Witchawk that I built back when it was a new design with a Veco .19BB. I just read the rules again and realized that we have to use a nostalgia legal engine, so I can’t use the Veco. So now I’m debating whether to build a new model or convert my Witchawk to an OS .19 or whatever, or maybe just use a plain bearing Veco .19. So I’ve put it aside for now until I see the Nats schedule because if I have one of my regular events on one-design day I may not be able to fly it anyway.

Steve Jensen
    Participant

Maybe a Fox .19?

Steve Jensen
    Participant

post deleted

Denny Dock
    Participant

Hey Simon,
    I think you can use the ST’s in the one design event…I’m planning on a ST .19 in my Zingo.
    Denny

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

Hi Denny,
    That’s what I was thinking all along, but I just looked at the rules on the NFFS website again and they say:

2017: Zingo (AMA or FAI) / Witchhawk 500 (AMA),with any class ‘A’ NFFS Nostalgia legal engine may be used for the Witchhawk and Zingo One-Design models.

That throws a wrench into my plans. I will probably use an OS .19.
    Simon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.