SLIPSTREAM MK 1 NOS APPROVED

Home Forums Free Flight Nostalgia Gas SLIPSTREAM MK 1 NOS APPROVED

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Steve Jensen
    Participant

I submitted the Slipstream Mk 1 design (by Brian G. Cox) to the NFFS Nostalgia Subcommittee and it has been approved. Plans will be drawn and it will appear in a future Digest. The 1957 Slipstream Mk V plan was published in the Nov. 1960 Model Aircraft magazine (not Model Aviation) with a good description of the changes from the 1956 Mk I version.
    Article & Mk V plan- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30843491&postcount=13880

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

Darn, and I was going to build that for Golden Age … Just kidding! It should be pretty popular; easy to build and a fairly modern planform.

Steve Jensen
    Participant

@sblake wrote:

Darn, and I was going to build that for Golden Age … Just kidding! It should be pretty popular; easy to build and a fairly modern planform.

I had the same thought for the Mk V, with the long ‘3 chord’ moment.

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

I think it would be a good airplane for that event. Thanks for going to the effort of submitting the earlier version to the nostalgia committee!

Bruce Hannah
    Participant

Are there any plans for the Mk 1 ,looks like a winner to me, would love to scale it up to Class C

Steve Jensen
    Participant

@Bruce wrote:

Are there any plans for the Mk 1 ,looks like a winner to me, would love to scale it up to Class C

No plans yet. Keith Fulmer is having someone draw them up. Note that the Mk I & II didn’t have sheet on the wing and stab.

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

There are no dihedral dimensions given on the pdf in the link for the later version, which I just had printed full-size at Kinkos, or in the article, so I’m not sure how that is going to be established. It does give the angles for the ribs at each break plus it shows the plywood wing joiners, so I guess you could figure it out from there, but it would be nice to have actual dimensions. Also, the article gives the wing size for the 1956 version and it says the stab is 40 percent of the wing area, but it doesn’t have the dimensions for the stab. I look forward to seeing the NFFS plan with some of these details filled in!

Steve Jensen
    Participant

Simon, the angles were omitted when the plan was ‘cleaned up’ on RC Groups. I’ll try to post a legible pic.

Steve Jensen
    Participant

Mk V angles- (best I can do)
    https://app.box.com/s/hu9vsyagfnt2lxwnvqbziq7dud0cyeox
    For the Mk I stab- 135sq in, 5 1/2″ x 24 1/2″ Please point out any errors I made. I won’t get butt-hurt.

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

Thanks Steve; that’s a big help! It’s great that people post these old plans, but perhaps a little too much cleaning up…

Robin Beckford
    Participant

If you look on the RCGroups plan, the rib angles are shown at he dihedral breaks.

An old free-flight friend of mine knew Brian Cox, and says the Slipstream was a good model.

Steve Jensen
    Participant

The Slip Stream Mk I plan is in the latest Digest, now available for download. Thanks to Steve Dona for drawing the plan and Bob Stalic for the write-up.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.