Stampede 540 Classic A/B

Home Forums Free Flight What’s on Your Building Board Stampede 540 Classic A/B

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Robert Dunham II
    Participant

Just finished a back-up plane to my #1 Stampede 540. It’s a Classic A/B ship and has 540sq- 65.625″ span flat. Weighs same as #1, 26ozs. Uses K&B 3.25/3.5 and Texas Timers MaxIIIA timer.

Dean McGinnes
    Participant

What do you use for an engine mount? Doesn’t look like the typical turned radial mount.

Denny Dock
    Participant

Nice Robert…Thanks for posting
    Happy New Year to all,
    Denny

Robert Dunham II
    Participant

Flydean, it’s a Kraft Hayes KM-19 graphite filled engine mount. Dave Brown also makes a similar mount. Around these part where I fly, most use these type mount instead of an aluminum turned mount. Never had a problem with breakage. FYI, I used #4 x 1/2″ socket head screws to secure the engine to the mount. On a .40 size plane, unless one has an aluminum beam mount which are next to impossible to find, you pretty much have to use a graphite filled mount for rear rotor engines. I’ve had problem with these screws stripping out the threads due to vibrations so went to drilling out and tapping the engine mount holes for 4-40 screws which goes all the way through and using locking washer nuts to hold engine in place.

Dean McGinnes
    Participant

Thanks, I am putting a Nelson on an airplane that had a heavier engine so might need such a mount to provide some standoff for CG purposes.

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

It looks like a real nice airplane! Are plans available?

Robert Dunham II
    Participant

sblake,
    No plans yet. This design is relatively new and has only one season under it’s belt but so far looks very promising in it’s two contest outings. I was impressed and confident enough with the design to build a duplicate back-up plane for the new coming season. When doing new designs, I draw out the wing panels outline, ribs and diagonals, and stab layout on poster boards and build off that. Heck, I don’t even have a 3-view drawn up of this design but that shouldn’t take too long to do. Possibly maybe in a few months, plans will be available.
    Robert

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

Thanks Robert; I thought it must be new because I’ve never heard of that design. As the saying goes, if it looks right it probably is, and that’s a very straightforward design that looks like it should go well. Incidentally, I like to use the Dave Brown or Hayes mounts too because they are light, but more importantly because it makes swapping engines real easy, something I ended up doing a lot last summer — four times in my 600 T-Bird and twice in my Class C Neanderthal due to a cracked crankcase in one motor, excessive vibration in another and various issues. I’m still using sheet metal screws in the motor mounts and so far I haven’t had one pull out.
    Regards, Simon

Robert Dunham II
    Participant

Front end shot.

David Bevan
    Participant

Robert, what is the fuselage painted with?

Robert Dunham II
    Participant

David, main fuselage is sprayed with Sig Lite Cote mixed with House of Kolors Intensifier (liquid dye). Use about 20 drops dye/fl. ounce of dope. After that dries, then fuel proof it with sprayed clear Klass Kote epoxy paint. Rudder area is sprayed white K&B UltraPoxy epoxy paint but Klass Kote also makes a white paint too.

David Bevan
    Participant

Robert,
    Thank you. I have been using Klass Kote white and clear, but the HOK intensifier looks really nice. Do you know if it can be mixed into the clear epoxy?
    Dave

Robert Dunham II
    Participant

David, I’ve thought of adding the HOK dye to the clear epoxy paint but yet to do so- maybe I’ll try doing that on my next build.
    Robert

Robert Dunham II
    Participant

Just a side note to mention that a 470 version has just been completed. 470sq- 61.25″ flat/ 450sq.-58.25″proj. Weighs 21.25ozs. Engine is combo Veco 19/21 hot-rodded by Bob Mattes. Hopefully will be competitive.

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

The smaller one looks great too! Have you had a chance to do up some plans?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.