Stampede 540 Classic A/B

Home Forums Free Flight What’s on Your Building Board Stampede 540 Classic A/B

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Robert Dunham II
    Participant

Hi Simon,
    No plans yet but am looking into having a friend drawing up a set of plans for the 540 version. In meantime, I simply draw outline of each wing panels and stab with rib positions, diagonals and spar positions onto poster boards to build on. Fuselage is drawn/laid out directly onto the balsa sheet itself. Am about to start on a “C” version of 670sq. for a K&B Torp. 40RR engine, again will draw up rough plans on poster boards. In meantime, here’s the front end of the Veco/470 version.
    Robert

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

If Model Builder was still around I’m sure Bob Stalick would have you draw up a three-view. I built a lot of models from those three views. I was a little surprised at your engine choice, but one of my beefs about the nostalgia rules is that they really restrict the engines and then allow unlimited modifications, but they don’t allow us to use the OS, Enya, Fox etc. baffle piston engines that we all have in our engine boxes (bins). (And don’t get me going on allowing Nelson/Galbreath/TD heads in early nostalgia)
    I think one of the other problems a lot of us face in the modern events is that some of the modern engines scare the crap out of us. We had our first flying session at Geneseo this past weekend and I accidentally stuck the prop on the FSR 40 on my C/D classic ship into the starter — actually I didn’t expect it to start because I was having fuel feed problems and when it did it startled me. It shattered the cone on the starter, strangely without breaking the prop. I’m glad it wasn’t my finger.
    And then I built a Pearl 310 with one of those fancy Russian engines (Fora 049) on it and it’s like a dentist drill played through a Marshall amplifier. It really takes the fun out of 1/2 A which was my favorite event. So I guess I answered my own question. I can see why you use “friendlier” engines like the 40RR and the Veco and size the airplane to suit. I think that’s why nostalgia is so popular. After I destroyed my starter I switched to trimming out my 1938 Guff with a Brown Junior. Now that was fun!

Robert Dunham II
    Participant

I’m using the Veco BB engines for the 470. It is an experiment for me. I have no problem running/flying planes using the K&B 3.25/3.5 combo but since the 3.25 is kinda rare to see on Ebay and always fetches big bucks in the bidding wars on it, I thought I try a Veco 19BB souped up by Bob Mattes. I also have a 21BB that was used by the RC car guys in the 1970’s. Mattes was able to get 19.5K out of them using a APC 7.8×4 on 40% nitro- not to shabby, should make for a decent flying ship if weight is kept down.

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

Wow, that is pretty good. I have a couple of those BB Veco engines so I will have to send one to Bob. I am using a Supertigre 19 on an A/B Okie Bird right now and the performance has been a little disappointing. I have had the motor for a long time and used it in a 450 Satellite back in 80s, but it doesn’t seem to pull the Okie Bird with the same authority.

Robert Dunham II
    Participant

Another update, just finished a 670 version. 670.0sq.in-73.0″ flat/ 645.2sq.in.-70.0″proj. 36.0ozs. ready to fly with tracker. Powered by Mattes tweaked K&B Torpedo .40RR. 40%nitro on APC 9.5x 4.5 yields almost 19K. It’s an ounce or two heavier than hoped for but the plane should be competitive.

Robert Dunham II
    Participant

Front end of the 670 showing the Mattes tuned Torp.40RR along with self made pinch-off mechanism, timer start/stop switch and fuel on/off valve. Fuselage was given sprayed coat of dope/dye mix and then fuel proofed with clear Klass Kote epoxy paint.

gavoss
    Participant

Roberts planes are well designed, easy to build and they all fly very well. He’s noted some unique things about the trimming but it’s all pretty basic stuff. We will have very nice plans very soon. we have basic ones now. I’ll check with RD2 to see if its OK to send .dxf plans out.

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

It looks good Robert! How did the 540 version trim out? I notice you are using a pinch off with the 40. Until recently, except for half-A, I’ve always used flood-offs, but it seems we are getting away with using pinch-offs on bigger and bigger engines these days. I like using the Texas Timers Max III with the mousetrap fuel shutoff. I am using one on my 600 T-Bird with OS .29 and it seems to shut that engine off just fine. I don’t know if I’d try it on a schneurle 40.
    Regards, Simon

Robert Dunham II
    Participant

Simon, both the 540 and 470 versions trimmed out great- took about 6-7 flights to get each pretty much dialed in. So far haven’t seen much of the glide, maybe 20-25 seconds worth but looks doable for it’s first meet which will be in 3 wks. I have far too many events to compete in to try and take time to really iron out the planes, so will trim and fly as each official flights are made. I quit using flood-offs on AMA power ships in 1990- destroyed 3 A/B’s Motorvators by having mis-floods- not shutting off engine while the AR/VIT kick in at 6-7 seconds and engine running for 30+ seconds. Best thing ever done was switching over to pinch-offs, haven’t had any problems with engines shutting off. I do like the Texas Timer MaxIIIA timers with the built in mousetrap pinch-off mechanism, use them on 1/2A’s thru A/B size planes. The larger NOS and .40 ships (schnuerle included) use regular Max111 timer along with a remote pinch-off spring loaded devise like show in the 670 pic. Reason for my doing so was that I felt the larger engines generate more vibration and thought the timer should be further away from firewall to lessen effects of the engine vibration.
    Robert

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

I’m off to the Nats and I know what you mean about trimming during the competition. I have nowhere to test around here so I am going to Muncie a day early to test fly. I haven’t had any problems with flood-offs, but I use hard tanks that are probably on the generous side for size. However, using a pinch-off and bladder tank seems to work fine and it sure simplifies the building process, so that’s the way I’ve been going lately.

Robert Dunham II
    Participant

Simon, I can’t make the Nats this year but want to wish you the best of luck, say hi to my clubmates, Bob Hanford and Gerald Brown. Maybe next year I’ll be able to attend the Nats and meet you in person.
    Robert

DAN BERRY
    Participant

Robert, yer jus’ makin’ excuses. You’ve got time to make the Nats……..

I’ve just been using pinch-offs since I re-entered FF in ’98. These engines suck a lot of fuel and they shut down plenty fast with a pinch-off.

I leave tomorrow. Several things need to be tested although nothing is really new.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.