The Golden Age of 1/2A Special Event

Home Forums Free Flight All Gas The Golden Age of 1/2A Special Event

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    Mike Schwartz
    Participant

This is a proposal for a Special Event for the NFFS. This proposal has been the result of a collaboration between myself,Bob DeShields, Bruce Hannah and Bill Vanderbeek. This first draft is the result. The proposal has been sent to Don DeLoach for his review and input. Don really likes the idea and suggested it be considered as a Official NFFS event. A copy of the draft has been sent to Phil Ronney of the San Valeers, so he can present it at this Saturday’s club meeting for discussion. Bruce Hannah will also present the draft at the WMC Oregon CD meeting in January for their input. We would like that everyone carefully read the proposal and comment with suggestions and ideas. Write anything you want either pro or con as we would like your input.
    The Golden Age of 1/2A Special Event.
    This Special Event is designed to honor the Classic Free Flight Designs from 1957 to 1969. Many consider this time frame to be the Golden Age of Free Flight. This event will be open to any free flight design that had plans published or dated from 1-1-1957 thru 12-31-1969. Any model regardless of actual published plan size is eligible. The actual size of model in the event will be 1/2A size. Plans that were only published for a large model can be scaled down for this event. Nostalghia Gas class eligibility ends on 12-31-1956. This leaves a large group of models from 1957 to 1969 that are not as competitive as models designed starting in 1970. This event gives the modeler the opportunity to build and fly these Golden Age Classics in a easy to build 1/2A size. Now modelers will have a event where you can fly the Series 57 Satellite, Dick Werner’s Bean Bogan, Ron St. Jeans Wizard and Showoff and many other great designs on a head to head competition all to the same general size. Proposed Guidelines. Open to any published or dated plan from 1-1-1957 to 12-31-1969. Models will be limited to 1/2A size only. Plans for large models can be reduced in size to 1/2A. Models must be built to actual plan outlines and original construction. For example if original plan showed sliced wing ribs, the model shall have those style of ribs. Rudders must be in same position as on original plan. No geodetics can be added to models that did not have that type of construction on the original plan. Wheels are not required. No carbon fiber material allowed. No V.I.T., auto surfaces or auto rudders allowed even if these were on original plan. Engines are limited to Holland Hornet .049/.051 or T.D. .049/.051. This use of these 2 engine types means no one will have a power advantage. Flight times and motor runs will be the same as current Nostalghia Cat.1,Cat.2, Cat.3 rules. Cat.1 and Cat.2 has a VTO option along with hand launch. Cat.3 is hand launch.This event is designed to be a fun event to fly with fair rules and guidelines for all to follow. Mike

Anonymous
    Inactive

Finally someone has seen the light of a much needed event in which to include models that set that generation of juniors into building and flying models like the Satellite and of course the Starduster.
    Count me in………i have both these models and refuse to fly them unless there is a firm reason such as this event to enjoy them.
    Thx Mike and all for this event should it come to pass which i see no reason not to.

thermals,
    -mike

Denny Dock
    Participant

Good idea…I always wanted to build a Uranus…I’ll have to check the design date.
    Should be a very attractive event.
    D.Dock

Scott Lapraik
    Participant

I think its a great idea! I like the Geodetic Galaxie!

Scott

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

A question was raised, is this event limited to American designs only. No. this event is open from designs from other countries as long as they meet the guidelines.
    Mike

Nigel Tarvin
    Participant

Great idea guys!

Lot’s of great designs in this period. D.Dock, the 1/2a Uranus is 1964…and I have one on the board. Built one back in the 70’s and it flew great! I Have a Solar with a Holland Hornet in trimming stage that will fit right in too!

Cheers,
    Nigel 😀

gos
    Participant

If I lived closer I could fly my Mini Weaver by Dave Posner……TD 049/051 power. Pretty model and a good flier.

Denny Dock
    Participant

Sure is fun to think about all the models you built (or wanted to build)growing up. I built a Near Miss that flew good(just misses the Nostalgia cut-off). Always liked a British design called a Heat wave…And my current favorite Egg(nig) Nog. Still think it might be a Uranus. (thanks for looking up the date)
    I wrote the KOI guys to see if they can get it on the card this year.
    DDock

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

I think this is a great idea, but is there any reason the cut-off could not be extended to 1979? That pretty well covers the era of balsa TD 049 power models. I started flying competition free flight in the 70s and my first successful half-A was a Country Boy. I also had good luck with other Jim Clem designs, particularly the Okie Bird which I still fly today. The big advantage of the 70s designs over the 60s designs is that they were smaller for shorter engine runs, but if scaling is allowed you can build it whatever size you want so that wouldn’t be a factor. Our Western New York Free Flight Society started an event this past summer called “old favourites’ which allows any published TD 049/051 airplane. The idea was basically to broaden the number of airplanes allowed in the NFFS one-design event, which it replaced.

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

There was a lot of through that went into the 1969 cut off date. The designs from 1970 and forward are pretty much the designs being flown today in AMA gas. The Series 70,73,75 Satellites in all its forms and variations as an example along with other designs are the ones most fly in today’s AMA events. It is kind of ironic for me to have the cutoff date prior to the design of the Series 70 Satellite in 1970.I was with Ralph Prey when he first set up the Nostalgia guidelines. He told me that he set the NOS cutoff date to 1956, because if he extended it past 1956, the 57 Satellite would dominate the event. I had flown Satellites with Bob and Bill Hunter since 1958, and so to have to exclude the Series 70 Satellites for the very same reason was personally painful to me, but the right choice for the Golden Age event. The event is designed to highlight all the great designs from 1957 thru 1969. it will be a fun event to fly which is its purpose.

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

Well, there’s certainly lots of great designs to build. I was looking at a plan for a 1/2-A Mexi-boy a while back and thinking what a great airplane that would be to build if only there was a class where it would be competitive and this new event certainly fits the bill!

gos
    Participant

Another great one but post your cutoff date is Kit Bay’s Laser Chaser from a 1970 plan in April Flying models, but perhaps Kit could tell how far pre. April 1970 that model was.
    It also has A/R but I found them quite docile and only used about 1/16th of A/R on engine shut down…….It wouldn’t be hard to trim one with no A/R.
    I’ve had 3 of them, lost two with fuse D/Ts in the ’70s, and still have the third one built in ’73 with a mini Seelig in it.

Roy Smith
    Participant

This is an interesting idea – I would allow some composite materials in the motor mount area. At the ESFFC and the GGG this year we introduced an event we called the 1/2A Old Favourites. I’ll copy the rules here:-
    11. The rules for the 1/2A Old Favourites event are:-

a. Any power model using a nostalgia legal 1/2A engine or the Cox TD 049/051. All fixed surfaces, no composite structures except for the motor mount.
    b. Engine run/max times shall be 3 qualifying flights at 9 sec/2 min. (maximum of 3 additional attempts allowed – any engine overrun is an attempt and a flight of less than 40 seconds may be declared an attempt), flyoffs 6 sec/2 mins. No attempts allowed.

Rather than restrict the entries to published designs from a specific period we allow participants to choose any design they like (including original designs) but restrict the engines, the construction materials, and the style to locked down surfaces. The run times reflect the fact that Geneseo is a 2-minute field – and we haven’t quite caught up to the Nostalgia 5 second engine runs (probably next year).

Nigel Tarvin
    Participant

Another on my impossibly long list is the 1/2a “Ephemeris” also known as the “Cutie” by Jess Krieser. It fits into this category too (1963) and now there is even more reason to build it! It’s an odd one with an undercambered stab and up thrust.
    But then I tend to like odd airplanes. 😀
    I have the plans and magazine article in digital format if anyone wants copies.
    There was also an FAI Ephemeris (it came first apparently) that I’d like to find plans for….anyone?

gos, I built two Laser Chasers. I had no luck with the first one so I built a second…….my luck didn’t get any better with the second one! 😯

Cheers,
    Nigel

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

The question of using a composite material motor mount depends on the type of mount you are thinking of. Would it be similar to a Tatone metal motor mount in appearance or something else? Tatone 1/2A metal mounts can be hard to find. Hank Nystrom of Texas Timers makes a excellent metal mount for T.D. engines. You could always use the Cox plastic tank mount. This use of plastic/composite material would be acceptable. The idea of no carbon fiber material in these models is to keep the event from becoming another f1j disaster. Keep it simple and low tech. Carbon fiber props are allowed.

Mike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.