The Golden Age of 1/2A Special Event

Home Forums Free Flight All Gas The Golden Age of 1/2A Special Event

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    Steve Jensen
    Participant

Electric? What are the motor limitations?
    There’s also an updated design list on my FGMAC web site- http://fgmac.tumblr.com/

Derek McGuckin
    Participant

Electric? What are the motor limitations?

It’s in the rules:

14.0 Engine Eligibility for electric models.
    Outrunner Engine eligibility for electric models will be determined by battery size.
    The proper size battery has been determined to give the same performance as a
    T.D. .049/.051. This battery will not exceed 325 mah in power.
    14.1 The battery size for electric will not exceed a 2-cell Lipo (8.40v) 325 mah.
    range.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was just reading through a bunch of NFFS mags as my wife was shopping, and went over the rules for “Golden Age” models.
    1. I really don’t think it should be open to electric power.
    2. If it is open to electric, why would you allow folding props for electric, and not for the power models? Either no folding props period, or folding props for both. There are some nice folding props for 1/2 A power that work really well.

I look forward to flying this event, and have been looking for a reason to fly my old 1/2 A Hustler that was kitted in 1960. But it was too late for NOS qualification in this 1/2 A version. Many people built this model and had success with it in the early 1960s.

Scott Lapraik
    Participant

Dave, I agree with you on the folder vs. non folding props for golden age events!! I’ve been flying E36 and A/B electric for the past 3-4 years with fixed props very successfully!! Fixed props I’ve found to be much more efficient than folders.

Scott

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

I agree with Dave. Let’s keep it simple and nostalgic — 049/051 TDs only!

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

The reason for not allowing folding props in the gas power portion in the Golden Age 1/2A event is simple. Folding props on AMA gas models are not allowed under the current rules. Folding props are allowed in fai competition on gas models. Folding props are allowed on electric models per the current rules. Allowing electric versions of the Golden Age designs took a lot of consideration to try to see if there was any interest in building electric versions. The Golden Age 1/2A event is a NFFS Provisional event, starting in 2017. The provisional event time frame runs for 2 years. If after the 2 year cycle, if there is enough interest, it would become a regular NFFS event. The reason for having a provisional event, means you can make changes at any time to the rules and guidelines without having to go to the Competition Committee for any rule change approval.For example if there is no interest in having electric in the event, it can be simply dropped without having to go to committee. It also allows the rules and guidelines to be adjusted based on real world input.When the Golden Age 1/2A event becomes a official NFFS event, any rule changes or additions have to voted on by the Competition Committee.

Denny Dock
    Participant

Hey Scott,
    E-mail please…Off line
    denny_dock@yahoo.com

Rudy Kluiber
    Participant

I CD’d two meets this year that included Golden Age events. Lots more talk
    than entries so far. I am with those who would prefer to keep the power to
    TeeDee’s and Hornets only. much simpler that way rather than continually
    Having to keep up eith new electric developments.

Rudy in Cleveland

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

i need to make a correction on the Provisional Event time frame. In 2017, the Provisional Event time frame will be 4 years, not 2 as in previous years. The NWFFC in Tangent Or., this August had 6 entries in the Golden Age event. There was also a lot of interest expressed by other flyers to build models for next year. 6 entries may not seem like much at first, until you look at the 5 entries in Adult 1/2A at the recent Nats. It will take some time for more models to be built and flown in contests for this new event. We fully understand the concern about adding electric to the event, only time will tell if there is any actual interest in building electric versions for the Golden Age event. If no real interest shows up, electric will simply be dropped. When Vintage fai power was first introduced, there was also Vintage Wakefield included. There was no participation in Vintage Wakefield, so it was dropped.

Mike Schwartz

MikeThompson
    Participant

I would like to put my two cents in. I think that that electric powered should not be aloud, The event is set up to fly Golden age 1/2A GAS!!!!!. I have nothing ageist electric powered models, there are already events for them. The event is set up for flying 1/2a,s that most of us grew up with before all the hot rod engines, VIT crap. I not ageist modern stuff, I do fly F1a and have flown many VIT models I am planning to build a Satellite 320 from a Midwest kit for the event.

Anonymous
    Inactive

As always, i fully share Mike’s sentiment here on what should just be a gas only event.
    This topic and event proposal has been thru more debate and non constructive arguement than i have ever seen before………..not that it makes much difference……….seeing the results from the last 2 major FF contests tells us that FF is almost over in terms of FF gas.
    Sad, but true.

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

The complete Golden Age 1/2A rules will be published in the 2017 NFFS Rule Book.For the doom and gloom people that think Free Flight gas is dying, you should look at all the renewed interest in building and flying new models in the Golden Age event.

Mike

Anonymous
    Inactive

The 1/2 A Hustler design is different than the Nostalgia legal Hustler. It was first flown in the 1958 to 1960 period and kitted in June of 1960. It is 240 square inches and was designed originally for the 100 ounce per cu. inch rules, so was a little small when they upped it to 173 ounces per cu. inch. But it was flown successfully at that weight also. Curt Anderson, son of Willard Anderson flew it successfully at the 1960 NATS in Dallas.

The model designed by Sid Jepson and Willard Anderson, was kitted by Dell Marchant and Rod Durkee. Dell and Rod named their company MarKee models and sold 200 of the kits between June 1960 and June 1962. Attached is 2005 note from Dell Marchant as he sent all remaining kit stuff to me.

The model is shown on the plans either for 1/2 A TD, Space Hopper, or Holland Hornet power. It is a simple model to build and fly.

To anybody interested, I will print and mail plans and instructions for $10. Just contact me at dedmonson@comcast.net

Steve Jensen
    Participant

We are considering adding the Golden Age Event for our 2017 Dual Clubs Bonanza Contest at Lost Hills. Who would be interested in entering?

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

The Golden Age of 1/2A event will be held at the San Valeers Annual on April 22-23, 2017. Come and join the fun.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.