The most beautiful Nostalgia design

Home Forums Free Flight Nostalgia Gas The most beautiful Nostalgia design

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Bill Schmidt
    Participant

The 1951 “Ollie” by John Humphreys in AT 9-51 has to rate as outstanding esthetically far and above the common herd. Its lines and design detail surpass most others. In conversation, Robert Dunham mentioned how it looked very much like a Satellite in overall appearance. Give this some thought. I can say that the one I built truly was the only model to fly right off the board, so much so that I only put in one test flight and put it away. This really stands out in my mind. On the down side it is a bit difficult to build with its major wing structure consisting of 1/32″ sheet. OK, but it is light and can come in at 5 oz. easily. Check it out and see what you think. I’m building it now at 90% for .020 NOS. Best, Bill

George Reinhart
    Participant

So,
    How best to get a look at it, since I don’t have a stack of AT going back that far?

Help would be appreciated.
    Cheers!

Bill Schmidt
    Participant

Hi Pete. I tried to upload 2 pics of my 2 Ollies but the file size was too big. I need to get a handle on this. A good picture of the plan is easily accessed on E-Bay by just typing in “Ollie Plan”. The yard stick laying across the dwg. in the view is out of scale as the model is 35″ w.s. and 170 squares. Take a look and I’ll try to figure out file sizing on this post. Ugh! It’s still too big. How does this work? Check out my post on penetrant oils on engine forum for example of oversize file size. Best, Bill Schmidt

George Reinhart
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll try E-bay

gos
    Participant

OLLIE

Robert Dunham II
    Participant

This is Bill’s Ollie.

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

You can download the Ollie plan at http://www.outerzone.co.uk, along with thousands of other plans.

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

In my mind, when it comes to the most beautiful nostalgia design, however, I would have to go with the Civy Boy, followed by the Dream Weaver.

DAN BERRY
    Participant

Wait.
    What?
    Not the RamRod?
    Huh.

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

Nobody said “best flying” — just the most beautiful. On the other hand, if you build a Ramrod and watch the way it climbs right and then flips into a left glide without losing an inch of altitude and then just glides and glides and glides, it is one of the most beautiful things you will ever see!

George Reinhart
    Participant

Civy Boy 84 gets my vote.
    I always wanted one.
    I suppose I should just build one.
    Cheers! and Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

gos
    Participant

Ollie is pretty, and I have a MK3 Wenmac that would suit it well.
    But will I have enough time???????????

George Reinhart
    Participant

RE. The Civy Boy 84, I think I have enough time but I’m not sure I have enough money to buy that much balsa.
    Food for thought.
    D-Gas
    D-classic
    D-Nostalgia
    Super D
    A multi-tasking contest machine.
    And maybe C gas and C-classic with a modern high power engine.

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

It would be beautiful, but it would be a huge investment in balsa and time and a handful to launch. I would be more tempted to build the Class B/C version with a Torpedo 29/32 or Veco 29/31 combination . Two classes and a nice size airplane.

gos
    Participant

The previous F1C World Champion built one a few years ago and had a Nordic 60 in it. Changed the Nordic over to a McCoy 60 for more go.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.