The O’Donnells

Home Forums Free Flight Rubber Models The O’Donnells

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    redbuzzard
    Participant

Gentlemen and ladies,

Would anyone have contact information for either John or Hugh O’Donnell of the Nostalgia Wakefield era? I am interested in the “Borderline” rubber design.

Thanks for anything,

Bill

JIM MOSELEY
    Participant

john@odonnell3737.co.uk

I could copy a Borderline plan for you if required

JM

redbuzzard
    Participant

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for the information. I am mostly curious about the design and wonder how to get at least a three view without asking you to copy the plan. I think it was in Aeromodeller but I can’t find it in my small collection (admittedly not complete), nor can I find it on Outerzone or AMA or NFFS or Mike Woodhouse or Presnell, or….,

I have seen a photo of it in an ad for Aeromodeller Plan Service in 1956. Does it have potential for Nos Rubber?

Thanks,

Bill

gos
    Participant

Here you are Bill. It’s in May 1953 Aeromodeller. It’s a pretty good thing IMHO.

It suits our pre. 1957 Vintage rules but I’ve only ever seen one built. That one was built by the English flier the late John Clements, and he used it to great advantage at our ’92/’93 Nationals in Queensland.

JIM MOSELEY
    Participant

You bring back memories, Howard – John Clements was my regular flying buddy way back ; great guy … was saddened to hear of his untimely passing. Built nice airframes ….

Bill – no problem to copy the plan

redbuzzard
    Participant

Gentlemen,

Wow! Gos, that’s perfect and it does look like a pretty straight forward O’Donnell design. Many thanks for the three view. I do have a few 1953 Aeromodellers but that issue is missing.

Jim, I would love a plan. Perhaps you can PM me and I’ll give you my address, etc.

Best to you both with thanks,

Bill

gos
    Participant

@Jim Moseley wrote:

You bring back memories, Howard – John Clements was my regular flying buddy way back ; great guy … was saddened to hear of his untimely passing. Built nice airframes ….

Bill – no problem to copy the plan

Was a terrible shock when John passed. His family were living in Adelaide South Australia, and John mostly worked in Asia as a consultant on bridge construction.
    When we went from Melbourne to S.A. flying and John was in town we had a great time flying with him as he was very good fun and a real mans man.
    He came to the Qld. Nats. in ’92, and of course we had a great time together. He was tremendously strong and fit looking, and yet not long into 1993 we got the terrible news he has passed I think it was in Indonesia?
    Just a thought?????? John or was it Jon?

Sorry Bill for going off topic.
    Perhaps another good rubber job is might consider is Jeckell & Hyde from 1954………I have two of them, and in ten years they have won or at least placed 2nd or 3rd in every comp. entered.
    It’s 46in span, 50in long, 16 strands of 1/4 X 100 grams with a single blade folder prop. Very simple and fast build.

redbuzzard
    Participant

Gos,

Your Jeckell & Hyde intrigued me the first time I saw your earlier post. I found it in my Aeromodellers and have copied the article. At 16 strands of 1/4″ you’re loaded for bear! I will give it another look. Great picture by the way.

Thanks again,

Bill

gos
    Participant

Trust me Bill. It’s a very docile “bear”. 1000 turns and it just goes up there to the right with a little down thrust and right thrust, then with a touch of left rudder and a little tail tilt glides to the left. Wing center section flat, tips with a little washout.
    Pleased you have the plan.

redbuzzard
    Participant

Gos,

Okay, I went back and took another look at the J&H. I don’t have the actual plan but the spread from the magazine. As it is drawn 1/4 scale, getting plans will be a snap. BUT, I measured the flat span and it comes out at 49″, for a flat area of 318 square inches. Your number of 46″ must be projected. That would put it more in the area of 290 squares. And what a light build for a ship that big. Did you build the 1/16″ by 1/4″ wing spars? Combined with the light tail group you must have about 120 grams without the motor? Float like a butterfly…

Bill

gos
    Participant

I built both of mine from the 1/4 scale plan in the mag. I just scale things up direct to wood. No need to have a full size plan.
    It is 46 inchs span for sure flat on the plan, 44.5 inches with the tip dihedral built in = 267 square inches, and the fuselage is built with 48 inch HARD 1/8th x 1/8th, plus the nose block etc. makes it about 50 inches long.
    All up weight including a KSB timer is 170 grams on #2……..#1 is probably a few grams heavier as it’s older, has flown more, was lost and rebuilt when returned after 6 weeks in the sun and rain.
    I upped the wing spars to very hard 3/32 wood. I tend not to build ultra light as I like things to last, and last these things have after a lot of flying over 10 years.

You will note the rubber suggested would weigh about 120 grams, but I stuck with 100 grams……16 strands of 1/4, 24 strands of 3/16 or 32 strands of 1/8th, as those motors also suited the old Wakefields I have as well……Lim Joon and Keil Kraft Gypsy.
    Motor should take 1200 turns, but I’ve never used more than 1000 in a blast tube, and in absolute dead conditions at dusk #1 did a few seconds short of 300 seconds a while back. They should do 180 every time, unless you do stupid things……yep, I’ve done stupid things….short DT etc.

Wings and tail are Esaki lite covered, and fuselages are Esaki lite DOUBLE covered…….tissue doped on grain in opposite direction.

Hope that helps.

redbuzzard
    Participant

Thanks all. Gos I appreciate the tips on the J&H. I do especially like the 3/32″ spars. I can’t imagine the wing surviving a roll over on the ground in the wind with 1/16″ spars!

Bill

Mike Thomas
    Participant

Here are a couple of photos of Jon Clements winding his Borderline at Wasleys, near Adelaide, back in 1992. Bill Pudney, another very good South Australian flyer (mostly F1B) is acting as stooge. Jon was a great friend, and a great modeller, and the Borderline was a favourite model of his. I did not know John O’Donnell personally, but I have seen him in action on a few occasions in the U.K., and Jon Clements was very much in the J O’D mould.

gos
    Participant

Thanks Mike for those wonderful shots of Jon and Bill. I flew F1C at Wasleys…..I might have a pic somewhere?
    Has BP seen them? I doubt he goes here, but he is on Barton, so can let him know if need be.
    Kind regards, Howard.

JIM MOSELEY
    Participant

First time have seen photos of Jon. Nicest guy…. his o/d rubber model “Tradlad” was always one to watch, great performer.

A recollection is way back in ’63/64 when Jon was in ‘digs’ in Leeds and without wheels. I picked him up en route to a Topcliffe contest and upon arrival he found he had left his stabs behind. About 40 miles away …. we did the fastest round trip ever with the Mini at valvebounce all the way; fortunately Leeds City traffic was quite light on a Sunday morning. Was quite a ride.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.