The O’Donnells

Home Forums Free Flight Rubber Models The O’Donnells

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    redbuzzard
    Participant

Mike,

Thanks for the “as built” photos of the Borderline. I notice on the three view/plan that it calls for a freewheeler. Were these ever flown with folders? I know the O’Donnells were into freewheelers and feathering props. But did they ever switch to folders? and on what design?

Bill

Mike Thomas
    Participant

Bill, I’m glad the photos were interesting. John O’Donnell certainly did use folding props on other models, but whether he used one at any time on the Borderline, I have no idea. If you are building the model for vintage competition, then you are usually constrained by the rules to use what is on the plan. I don’t remember the prop Jon Clements was using, even though I was holding it while I was taking the photos. But I am sure it was as the plan, given that he built it for vintage.

Howard and Jim, glad you liked the photos. Jon was someone who stays strongly in the memory, and the strange circumstances of his death in Indonesia give that memory even more emphasis. Jim, a nice anecdote. Was Jon at university at the time?

Howard, I am sure that Bill Pudney will have seen those photos at some time, but probably not recently.

redbuzzard
    Participant

Hi All,

Thanks Mike for the notes.

I should let all know that I did go back to the actual magazine spread for the J&H, rather than my Staples copy. In doing so I found that the Staples copy was actually ENLARGED to fit on 11 x 17 paper, hence is pretty big. When I measured the magazine spread the dimensions are as Gos said. So, for me, it’s back to Staples for another copy and eventually a full size enlargement.

I owe Gos an apology for wondering about size and am glad I went back to the original. Now the design fits size restraints for Mulvi if I wanted to use if for that, as well as Nos. Certainly a worthy subject as it would be a light build.

Best,

Bill

gos
    Participant

Why not build both Borderline and J&H?

J&H #2 in bones before covering.

JIM MOSELEY
    Participant

Bill, omitted previously to mention that the Borderline plan went into the mail a few days ago

redbuzzard
    Participant

Thanks Jim and Gos. Building both would be sensible as well as “new” designs on our field. I am finishing a Lefever Ottair almost as I write, then had a Gerald Thomas Wake on the list. So Borderline and J&H would have to wait their turn. Unlike Ottair all three of the others would be straight-ribbed and way easier to produce. The J&H would have the advantage of that nice wing area. And Gos I like the way you finished the pylon. I couldn’t tell if it was sheet or stringers on the plan. The way you did it is the same as the Lefever and my Samann.

As everyone says, too little time and the list is way too long.

Again, thanks and I’ll look for the Borderline in the mail. Fun chat,

Bill

gos
    Participant

Would look forward to seeing your rubber jobs when done.

Re. pylon on J&H, it was a bit tricky looking on the plan, do I used 1/32nd strip about 1/4 wide to form it around the formers as shown on the plan……glued formers onto top first, then around with the strips. Built wing hold down dowels into it, then covered it with black tissue as is the fuselage.

Here’s a couple more pics I found of #1 J&H some time back. 2009/2010 Nats…….Dropped flight 2 with short DT….(Stupid) and it got 3rd place.
    Sitting on the stooge ready for the last flight. It DTd at 180 but kept going up and I lost it.
    Was found by the farmer 6 weeks later and returned to me looking like this. All the Esaki tissue after 6 weeks of sun and rain was bleached white. Tan2 rubber was strange yellow color.
    Wing and stab. tossed out. Fuselage, KSB timer, prop. all okay. Peeled off tissue on fuselage, recovered it, built new wing and tail and it flies the same as before.

gos
    Participant

Could only get one pic on?????

redbuzzard
    Participant

Gos,

Here’s Gustav Samann’s World Champion from 1955. O’Reilly plan and Holman rib kit. I mentioned it at the Hip Pocket forum. It has the 22″x22″ prop as shown in Zaic. Flat span 49 15/16. As mentioned at HP, it has the assymetric wing which can lead to comments like “…your wing is crooked…” Only glide tested at the moment but looking forward to the real thing. Hope the pic comes through.

Bill

gos
    Participant

That’s lovely Bill……Yes, saw the crooked wing comments on HPA. I can remember when he won the Wakefield that year…….I used to always get Aeromodeller magazine and could not wait for the WC results.
    It should and will fly very well for sure.

JIM MOSELEY
    Participant

Bill – Many thanks … appreciated.

Admired your artistry on the card too.

Jim

George Reinhart
    Participant

It’s beautiful.
    Workmanship like that makes me so pleased to know that there are still guys who build a flying model and not a museum piece. If it flies half as well as it looks, it’ll be a sure winner.
    Cheers!

Anonymous
    Inactive

That Jeckel and Hyde frame looks the business. The perfect open rubber model. In the UK our vintage models have to be pre 1951, but it might be ok for classic rubber. We are only allowed 50g of rubber in comp these days, unless it is a vintage Wakefield. A five minute model can travel a long way in a 15mph breeze!
    In my youth I watched John O’Donnell fly his open rubber models at local competitions. It was quite inspiring. It has only taken me another 50 years to get anywhere approaching his standards. He retired from competition last year. I think he must be rated as one of the most successful flyers ever.

redbuzzard
    Participant

Hi All,

Thanks for the compliments on Samann.

Gos asked in an earlier post to see some other “stuff.” I mentioned the Lefever “Ottair” from 1956 that is all but done. I’ll try to attach a photo of that design. I got the plan from Mike Woodhouse and am pleased with the way it turned out. The geodetic framework is my first attempt and was a challenge. Finish is tissue on the wing with tissue over mylar on the stab. T.O.M. because there is no sub-fin on the design and the stab will drag in the stubble upon landing. Flying surfaces received a coat of Krylon sprayed with an airbrush over a couple of coats of nitrate. It has a 21″x23″ Bilgri blank prop on a Z-Bar and a viscous timer. I have given it a toss to get the pylon location correct and it glides pretty well.

The last build I mentioned was a Ted Becker Unlimited design from 1954. I won’t post a picture until next week as we have a fun fly scheduled for tomorrow and I must pack and do the last fiddly bits on Ottair – keys, DT line hooks and ferrules.

Bill

gos
    Participant

It looks great Bill, as good as the other one.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.