WaxPaper

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Hopkins
    Participant

So traditional building method call for putting wax paper over plans so the glue does not adhere to the plans. This method seems to work well with ambroid and white glue. How ever it does not work well for me with super glue. Satellite City glues stick quite well to super glue. Should I be using a mold release along with the wax paper. Any suggestions?
    dlh98370

Glenn Schneider
    Participant

Try parchment paper available at the grocery store in baking supplies. Nothing sticks to it even Ca glues, leaves no residue and is transparent enough to read the plans through it. Works for me. Thermals, Glenn

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

Don’t use the generic brands of wax paper. They don’t have enough wax on them to act as a release agent for ca glues. Use the Cut-Rite brand as it works real well for our purposes. in the early 1970’s Bob and Bill Hunter made a series of video’s on how to use Hot Stuff. You can find the video’s on U-Tube. As part of the video presentation there was a section on how to fiberglass using Hot Stuff which I helped with the production as I had a fiberglass business back then. Cut-Rite wax paper was used in the video and mentioned by Bob as the wax paper that works the best. Parchment paper also works well like Glenn says.

Mike

Daniel Hopkins
    Participant

I have watched the Hunter videos on YouTube. I have found his technique of using 3M 77 to hold things down temporarily really useful. I had thought about parchment but have never tried it, but I will now. I just have to wait until my wife is not looking. The wax paper I have been using is Reynolds Cut Rite. Satellite City Hot CA sticks right to it. You can peel/sand it of…. eventually.
    dlh98370

Lee Hines
    Participant

I use & recommend the parchment paper for all the reasons Glenn stated, but it can even be drawn on with pencil to create building plans, tracings, etc.
    Stan Buddenbohm found this out several years ago & glad he shared with us in the hobby.
    But don’t understand why you need to wait til wife is not looking… 😕

SIMON BLAKE
    Participant

I’ve tried everything to prevent ca glue from sticking and I haven’t found anything that works. I use the Cut rite wax paper but I still end up with wax paper glued to the model. I tried parchment paper — same thing, and same with various other brands of wax paper.

MARK COVINGTON
    Participant

I buy inexpensive clear drop cloths at the hardware store and cut them to size. Cheap and nothing sticks to them.
    Mark C

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.