Resources for Aero Engineering (AE123), Gary Fogel, Fall 2021
AE24 Postal Contest
A national model airplane competition for aviation students.
Sponsored by the National Free Flight Society, with cooperation from San Diego State University Department of Aerospace Engineering.
Open to students in aviation or aerospace engineering programs at the middle school, high school, or college level.
1st Place – 10.2” iPad, 64GB + 1 year NFFS membership
2nd Place – Wacom Intuos Wireless Drawing Tablet, 7.9″ X 6.3″ + 1 year NFFS membership
3rd Place – One by Wacom Student Drawing Tablet 6.0” X 3.7” + 1 year NFFS membership
AE24 Model Specifications for the December 2021 Contest
1.Wingspan shall not exceed 24 inches when it is in assembled condition. The wing is the largest flying surface on the model no matter the configuration. Fuselage length is not limited.
2. The propeller shall be an unmodified commercially available plastic freewheeling propeller up to 22 centimeters (8.5 inches) in diameter. Weight may be added to balance the propeller.
3. A wound rubber band turning the propeller will be the sole source of thrust for the model. (No electric motors, engines, catapults) and the flying surfaces shall provide the sole source of lift (no balloons etc.).
4. Flights will be timed from the moment the model is launched to the time it lands, measured in seconds. If a model hits another model the competitor may decide, after their model lands, whether that flight counts as official or to re-fly that flight.
Model Kits for AE24
Model Construction Resources
1. Glue and Glue Management for Indoor Models
2. Mike Kirda’s Youtube Channel “AMA Alpha Video Series” Parts 1 – 7
3. Mike Kirda’s Youtube Channel “AMA Beta Video Series” Parts 1 – 7
4. Mike Kirda’s Youtube Channel “Building Boards, Forms and Stiffness Gauge”
5. How to Build a Rubber Powered Model Airplane – Part 1
6. How to Build a Rubber Powered Model Airplane – Part 2
7. How to Build a Rubber Powered Model Airplane – Part 3
8. How to Build a Rubber Powered Model Airplane – Part 4
9. Free Flight Rubber Powered Airplane – Widgeon Full Build Process
Model Trimming Resources
1. 1939 Spartan Bomber – Anatomy of a Trim Session #1
2. 1939 Spartan Bomber – Anatomy of a Trim Session #2
3. J&H Aerospace Gypsy Vintage Wakefield
4. J&H Aerospace P-51 Rubber Powered Scale